Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

missing year?

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
ok so what happened to the 1998 f-250 and f-350? it goes from 97 to 99 no 98? just curious

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
ok i guess im not COMPLETELY insane. i was looking around and couldn't find one at all. i was like "they had a new body style in 99 but nothing in 98?"

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
If Ernie was selling Fords at the time, he'll know for sure, but I think they did skip the '98 model year. Maybe built '97s a little longer than usual, and started selling '99s early.

Jeep did the same thing around the same time with the Wrangler, IIRC, when they changed from the YJ to the TJ.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
U wont find a 98. We bought 2 in 98 a 97 style Titled 98 and a SD that was titled 99 .

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
The '97 had an extended model year, then went directly to the '99 in the SD. There was a little story there- Ford initially planned on the SD having the same nose as the F150/LD 250. If you recall, that new style was very controversial back then, and they did a crash-redesign of the SD to a more traditional look. As a result, it was a late intro.

Same as the '83 Corvette. Offficially, there aren't any- although GM built a handfull for testing that were never sold.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Any idea where to find pics of the original design? I tried to Google it, but I don't have a clue what to search for...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I know what the LD F-250 looks like... I meant the F-250HD and F-350. From the sound of what Ernie said, it wasn't the same exact bodywork (don't think the bigger engines would fit under it anyway) just looked like it. But maybe I misunderstood...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I have never seen any. I'm told it mimicked the LD front nose.

Huh. I'd think it'd have to sit a little higher in the front, to clear the Powerstroke and get sufficient airflow... Might've worked well, or maybe not.

Glad they changed it, though. Both the LD and SD have grown on my since they were introduced (hated 'em both at first sight), but I still don't like the light duty styling that much. The original Super Duty, on the other hand, I now really like. (Maybe that's just relative to what they've done with it since...)

Huh. I'd think it'd have to sit a little higher in the front, to clear the Powerstroke and get sufficient airflow... Might've worked well, or maybe not.

Glad they changed it, though. Both the LD and SD have grown on my since they were introduced (hated 'em both at first sight), but I still don't like the light duty styling that much. The original Super Duty, on the other hand, I now really like. (Maybe that's just relative to what they've done with it since...)
How much since????:nono:

Just flipp'n chit atcha, Ian. smilietease

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
How much since????:nono:

Round about 2005, as a matter of fact. smilietease

Don't like this grille anwhere near as well as the earlier one:
200532155817706_20075226554363-display.jpg

Harley trucks look good, but don't come equipped the way I like (extended cab longbed, manual trans).

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Ohh I'm opposite of your Ian. I LOVE the newer/flatter grills a lot more than the original super duty grills. My favorite generation of Super Duty's was the one BEFORE the current generation, with the grills like that picture you posted.

It is my understanding that in '05 a new bumper law required Ford to lower their front bumpers on the Superduty and that's part of the difference that you see besides the obvious grill change. Note the location of the tow hooks are the same on both examples here.

200532155817706_20075226554363-display.jpg

8_1.jpg

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Could well be, and I do prefer the earlier bumper. But it's the grille and headlight/blinkers I really don't like the change in...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts