Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2002 Exploder high pitch noise help, and vibration when turning

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Long story, but we bought this sploder for our nanny then decided she might not be able to afford to keep it on the road....si instead of flipping it wifey says let her drive it the rest of the year.

ANYWAYS.....when I push the gas pedal, I hear a high pitch noise....let off pedal, no noise. Is this the fuel pump? Sounds like it's coming from the rear, but hard to tell.

Sent from my not so smart phone.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Only in parking lot or when not moving at all, not while driving ar significant speeds......wheel vibrates/shimmies.....power steering pump?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
With the first question about the high pitch noise, my mom's 2003 explorer's differential whined, probably because it wasn't aligned perfectly. It never caused problems, but the higher the speed, the higher the whine (until you couldn't hear it anymore).

Ryan

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
With the first question about the high pitch noise, my mom's 2003 explorer's differential whined, probably because it wasn't aligned perfectly. It never caused problems, but the higher the speed, the higher the whine (until you couldn't hear it anymore).

Ryan

No matter what speed I was at, it only whines when I press the gas pedal.

?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Could be the baffle in the air intake they sometimes whine.

What do I check for this? And would this have anything to do with when the gas pedal is depressed. ...trying to get more air when I try to speed up?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Vibration could be a bad tire, out of balance, bent rim, bearing or other steering parts.

Going down the road and at speeds, it's as smooth as a new ride....it's just when the car is still and turning the wheel or at parking lot speeds and turning the steering wheel.

I feel the vibration in the steering wheel at my hands.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
There is a baffle in the fresh air intake hose kind of funnel shaped insert as air is sucked in as the rpm's increase they whistle if they come loose.

Cool Randy thanks...I think I can handle this. :)

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
The pump I think is easy to get to on those. Worst part is removing the pulley you need a puller to remove it.
Also check the air cleaner in no seated correctly it can make a noise. The IAC can buzz/whine sometimes also.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
The pump I think is easy to get to on those. Worst part is removing the pulley you need a puller to remove it.
Also check the air cleaner in no seated correctly it can make a noise. The IAC can buzz/whine sometimes also.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I pulled off the little plastic cover to see how hard it would be to replace the IAC....looks like something even I can do.....think it's worth pulling off and cleaning anyways, but at rockauto.com they're only $32+shipping.

Think it's worth me replacing?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
^^^2 Bolts and that electric plug.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
There is a baffle in the fresh air intake hose kind of funnel shaped insert as air is sucked in as the rpm's increase they whistle if they come loose.

Randy, where would I find this? Do I start pulling the hose off and look inside?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
So here's the picture of the truck....it's been sitting for a few months before we decided what to do with it, so I'm charging the battery:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts