Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Desktop Dyno 2003 (for Junior)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Junior I finally got around to getting some screen captures of my Dyno program, sorry it took so long, I kept forgetting about it. Anyways, click the thumbnails below to see a large (beware!) image of what the program is asking for in several categories. It's much more customizable than what I'm showing you but these options are the bare minimum for running a dyno simulation in the program. The company that makes this software boasts within 5% accuracy of a real dyno. I've run it with the baseline specs for a 351 (rated at 210 HP) and it showed something like 205-208HP on the dyno, so I figure it's pretty accurate. Anyways, click the thumbnails and tell me what to input in those fields and I'll run a simulation for you and post results. If the images appear fuzzy and hard to read after clicking on the thumbnail, try clicking on the image after it appears to make it fullsize:

General Layout:

Heads:

Induction Flow:

Manifold Type:

Exhaust Type:

Cam Specs:

It gives those preset values in the pull down menus, but you can alternatively provide your OWN numbers for these things if you've got them (I can't image a lot of people do), such as lifter type, amount of valve lift for intake, amount of valve lift for exhaust, etc etc.

Last edited:

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
let me get some specs and you can run em for me! That's a cool program

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
let me get some specs and you can run em for me! That's a cool program
No problem. Just lemme know ;)

For those nay-sayers out there, this is actually a fairly expensive piece of software. And no, don't ask me how I obtained it :p

More info on Desktop Dyno here:
http://www.proracingsim.com/desktopdyno.htm

I've also got a program by the same company called Desktop Drag, which simluates drag times (1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, etc etc). You can make a Desktop Dyno file for your engine then import that data, plus the weight of your vehicle, and some other junk and simulate a drag. Not sure how much I trust that program for TRUCKS since it's designed for actual drag cars... More info here:
http://www.proracingsim.com/desktopdrag.htm

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
He's talking about flareside, eco. I want a copy, hook it up. smilietease

Nah, JK.. I'm sure you wouldn't want too. Lol.

Ed; Dang you're quick.

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
Thats a cool program , looks like it pretty much covers everything that some of us can do to a truck to mod it up, would like to run it myself.

Mike

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
stats.....

Cam:
Specs are 256/266 duration, .445/.473 lift with 1.7's

Exhaust:
Shorties with straight pipes.....

Induction:
HUH???You pick I got a migraine...Pick the flow as well as the style....

Heads:
Uhh are GT-40's Low performance?lol.....
Flow:185/129
Valves:1.85/1.54

Hope this is what you need....

JR

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Cool buddy....how many hours behind me are ya and what time you lookin to git home?If it ain't to late you can gimme a call...You're gettin me anxious now....another note....I put that other link you gave me up and it wouldn't show....had an error message.

JR

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Sorry Junior. I had a bunch of other stuff going on.

Anyways, got a chance to plug everything in as best I could (had to improvise on a few parts) and this is what I came out with:

Graph (if it appears fuzzy then try clicking on the image):

Chart1:

Chart2:

[highlight]ON EDIT:[/highlight] Just realized I accidentally put hydraulic lifters instead of solid rollers... But I changed the value to the correct one and the graph didn't change, so it don't really matter. I've still got the 1.7 acceleration in there ;) Also, I don't know if you've got your timing adjusted but if according to the program, if you retard it to 4* BTDC you'll squeeze out another 6 HP on top of what it shows above, but it also pushes the peak HP from 5000rpm to 5500rpm.

Last edited:

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Haha, there can be two Jr's. But we need to determine who's Jr. 1 and who's Jr. 2.

Also, those are some pretty decent numbers! I'm sure he'll be happy to hear it.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Damn, I was underestimating my power i guess....sure didn't see 290 HP at 340 FTLBS of torque....ouch.......Thanks Chris.....I AM happy with those numbers...and you said if I RETARD it 4 *'s?Not advance?Retard?Cool

JR

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Damn, I was underestimating my power i guess....sure didn't see 290 HP at 340 FTLBS of torque....ouch.......Thanks Chris.....I AM happy with those numbers...and you said if I RETARD it 4 *'s?Not advance?Retard?Cool

JR
Well you know I thought it was supposed to be advanced too... But when I did +4 (advance) on the program it DECREASED hp, and then when I did -4 (retard) it went up... So then I though, 4* BEFORE-top-dead-center... Does that mean you have to retard it? Not sure... Whatever it may be, just put your timing at 14* BTDC, thats why I set mine too and I saw a considerable increase in power. If the engine starts to yell at you then tone it back a bit.

And don't get TOO excited about those numbers, no one knows how accurate they are... I assume they're probably within 20hp of actual. And keep in mind that hp at the flywheel, not RWHP. But yeah, needless to say I was pretty impressed too! :)

[highlight]ON EDIT:[/highlight] Here's the correct link for your sig pic:
[img]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u269/Skandociouss/TruckStuff/Sig%20Pics/jrtruck3.png[/img]

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
No problem. Just lemme know ;)

For those nay-sayers out there, this is actually a fairly expensive piece of software. And no, don't ask me how I obtained it :p

More info on Desktop Dyno here:
http://www.proracingsim.com/desktopdyno.htm

I've also got a program by the same company called Desktop Drag, which simluates drag times (1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, etc etc). You can make a Desktop Dyno file for your engine then import that data, plus the weight of your vehicle, and some other junk and simulate a drag. Not sure how much I trust that program for TRUCKS since it's designed for actual drag cars... More info here:
http://www.proracingsim.com/desktopdrag.htm

How about this............How about I ask you where I can obtain it ;)

Gunner

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts