Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Brake Caliper bolt

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
Going down the road a few days ago,I heard a clunking noise from the left tire, when I stopped I investigated, noticed the brake caliper bolt ( there are 2) was missing , my caliper is moving on the rotor.Still has one bolt in.
I ordered 2 from Ford, when it came in I put it in and it is stripped on the spindle, with no way to tighten it down properly, is there any way I can fix this , it never gets tight. it worries me, i can feel it pulsate on rotor when stopping.

Mike

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well you could TRY to rethread it but I doubt it would work out too well... You'd probably wanna go pick up a new caliper. Nope, scratch that, you'd have to get TWO to make sure the truck doesn't pull to one side when braking.

I've also heard mixed feelings about Heli-Coils... Perhaps you could try one of those before dropping the big dough.
http://www.emhart.com/products/helicoil.asp

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
But doesn't the Caliper bolt to the spindle?
Is the Spindle stripped?

Mike
No it ain't. If it were, the caliper would be spinning around the wheel whenever the spindle is moving right? ;) I believe the caliper just bolts to itself on the other side... Lemme go have another look at mine.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah I just went out and looked. The caliper is bolted to the steering knuckle. I'm not sure if longer bolts would really fix it, just by looking at it, but if Junior said it worked then it's worth a shot.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
oh and the caliper botls to the bracket on the axle housing. not itself ;)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts