Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Coolant hose on the 750

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
As I got out of the truck last night when I got home...I've been checking my coolant as I seem to have a slight leak....more on that later....I see a little patch on the ground...uh-oh.
Upon further investigation, it seems that the 5 foot long, formed hose from the coolant bottle to the water pump has been rubbing on a bolt since new and finally produced a pinhole leak.
Am I ever happy it got me home!

New hose ordered....7 day delivery so for now I'm going to pick up a barbed coupling and do a temp repair.

Truck is booked in at Finning to figure out this mystery coolant leak.

DSCF4046.JPG

DSCF4047.JPG

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I don't know....after the compressor let go I'm thinking it's not that. It could be headgasket or cracked head at worst...after all, it is a Cat...so I should expect the worst :D
I've changed the cap...didn't make any difference.
This started after a coolant change was done, whether it was coincidence, I don't know, I'm just having a hard time believing that it would take the coolant this long to find it's "happy spot"
Finning is going to pop it on the dyno to load it and see what is what.

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Temporary fix done, I'll take a closeup pic of the damaged section...pretty damn amazed that it didn't let go long before now.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The coolant leak is more than just the frayed hose?

Yes, there are two issues....one is the immediate one of the hole in the hose, the other is the ongoing minor drippage out of the filler.

It's never very much and it looks worse than it is due to the fan throwing it everywhere....but I want to get it resolved.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Agreed. Small problems now = big problems later. Why do so many people not understand that concept?

Ostrich syndrome Doug.....

Bury head in sand

Ignore it and hope it goes away or fixes itself

When disaster hits...blame others

It's a broad problem....:wasntme: :rofl: :rofl:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Glad you found the problems. Kitty Cats don't like it when they run low on coolant. Makes them cavitate around the cylinder walls, and that pokes holes.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Glad you found the problems. Kitty Cats don't like it when they run low on coolant. Makes them cavitate around the cylinder walls, and that pokes holes.

Haven't found the one problem yet Charlie...going to Finning the week after next.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
In the 05 Pete with the 400 cat, I found the cap to the reserve tank wasn't soldered all the way around. Would weep from there after a shut down, when the temp would build, right before it cooled down.
Not a leak per say, but a weep

I hope this helps

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks....this is a plastic tank...and the coolant fill location.

There is no consistency to it.....cold or hot....sometimes it leaks, sometimes it doesn't.

Still above the Min level.

Oil analysis is good.

It's weird.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Some of the big diesels just have that habit.
I hope they find something for you, without costing you your first born....

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yeah....they ballparked me $450 :headbang:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Yeah....they ballparked me $450 :headbang:
Not bad. that's only lean over a little bit. At least it's not bend over and grab your ankles......

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Not bad. that's only lean over a little bit. At least it's not bend over and grab your ankles......

Was it you I was talking to on the phone? :suspicious:

That is damn near what he told me at Finning....:rolling laugh:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Hahahaha, no, probably another big truck owner.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Here is a pic of where the end of the bolt was rubbing...pretty amazing it took 8 years to finally go through:

DSCF4118.JPG

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts