Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hard starting occasionally when warm plus other codes, 2005 5.4L 3V

2005 Expedition
5.4 3V
126K miles
3 of 4 new O2 sensors replaced at ~100K
Fuel injector #8 stuck and replaced by Ford extended service at ~100K
New plugs at 105K
Only mod is K&N filter at ~105K

History that might help in figuring out my issue:

After fuel injector replaced and plugs replaced expy has run great and started easy.

At about 120K miles and in March this year, the CEL came on and pulled code below but still ran fine and started fine.

P0430
Catalyst efficiency low-bank 2

Took vehicle to Meineke and they confirmed the driver's side catalytic converter was bad which made sense, because of stuck fuel injector back at ~100K on cylinder 8 was dumping fuel in motor. Held off on replacing cat.

Driving back from about a 200 mile vacation and towing alight trailer, we stopped about 30 miles from home and turned vehicle off. Expy started up fine but got about 5 miles down 40mph road and CEL started flashing. Got to a stop light and idle was rough like it was going to die. Expy also ran rough. CEL went to solid on which is how it was since March. Drove straight home and parked it in driveway.

Next morning, cranked long time, about 5 seconds, to start and puff of white smoke came out of exhaust and smell of gas / exhaust fumes. Still running rough and felt like it was missing. Still barely kept idle and felt like it was going to die at stoplights. Drove to O'Reilly and got the following codes:

P0172 - System adaptive fuel too rich bank 1

P2196 - Lack of HO2S 11 switch, sensor indicates rich

P0300 - Random misfire detected

P0301 - Cylinder 1 misfire

P0430

Restarted expy at O'Reilly and fired right up as usual but still ran rough and felt like it was going to die at stoplights. Also, while driving down road at ~45mph and letting off gas, it started bucking and shaking the whole car. Giving it gas or slowing down stopped this odd issue.

Based on codes above revolving around cylinder 1, I decided to change COP on cylinder 1. Disconnected battery and restarted but no change in performance. Tried another COP on cylinder 1 and disconnected battery but still no change. CEL eventually came back on but didn't get codes pulled.

Took vehicle to private shop for repair. They replaced spark plug and COP on cylinder1. Said they could not figure out why it was starting hard but that it was running perfect and not missing. After testing for a full day, they said it also started firing up right away for them warm or cold.

I got it back last night and two times after sitting for10 minutes and 2 hours, it cranked for about 5 seconds before it started. Also, smell of gas was strong both times.

No CEL, however.

Started cold this morning and it started right up, but stumbled for a brief second like it was going to die, then idled high like on typical warm-up and seemed totally normal. Shut it off and restarted just fine. Drove it around to typical operating temperature and still started normal. Still no CEL.

Drove it again this evening. Started right up fine. Drove about 15 miles and parked it for 30minutes. Upon starting it again, it took a good 4-5 seconds to fire up. Engine was still warm. Drove about 5 miles and turned off engine. Started right up this time.

What could be causing this hard starting issue when warm? I’ve researched and seen all types of recommendations like fuel pump, fuel filter, TPS, idle control module, etc. Looking for recommendations on tests I can perform to narrow down the issue.

blacksnapon

Staff member
When it does it, the exhaust smells like fuel.........I think I'd start with an injector.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts