Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

daisy marks on the pistons

blacksnapon

Staff member
HPIM0547.JPG

blacksnapon

Staff member
For those of you that don't know, The flame travel in the combustion chamber of a 6.0 should stay inside the "dish" in the center of the pistons. In modified conditions, the pistons aren't fully at TDC, and the flame travel comes out of the dish. FMC says that daisy markings are reason to deny warranty.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
For those of you that don't know, The flame travel in the combustion chamber of a 6.0 should stay inside the "dish" in the center of the pistons. In modified conditions, the pistons aren't fully at TDC, and the flame travel comes out of the dish. FMC says that daisy markings are reason to deny warranty.
Huh, mine didnt have those at all. :rolleyes: (on the missing one)

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
i have seen ambulances with daisy marks on a few head jobs i have done. i guess they run tuners as well........ sometime i really hate working for ford

MikeStoke

Army Firefighter

Mine had them and i have no mods, and bought the truck new and have never had mods

Who makes the determination as to whether or not the warranty will be denied? I have never modded my truck and do not intend to. How would I ever prove that I have not modded my truck? Seems pretty crazy. Guilty until proven innocent. There must be other things that have to be taken into consideration other than a single data point. Is modification the only means by which those marks are made?
On a separate note I moved from CT to the Saratoga Springs area of NY. If I ever had any issues with my '07 I'd be hauling it out to Jewett City to see Dave. Anybody know of a good diesel tech in the area???

JR

blacksnapon

Staff member
Who makes the determination as to whether or not the warranty will be denied? I have never modded my truck and do not intend to. How would I ever prove that I have not modded my truck? Seems pretty crazy. Guilty until proven innocent. There must be other things that have to be taken into consideration other than a single data point. Is modification the only means by which those marks are made?
On a separate note I moved from CT to the Saratoga Springs area of NY. If I ever had any issues with my '07 I'd be hauling it out to Jewett City to see Dave. Anybody know of a good diesel tech in the area???

JR
That is just an example of some things we look at. Will those marks alone be grounds for denial.......probably not. If those marks are there with other indicators, there would be more discussion. I showed MikeStoke the marks on his pistons, and explained them. If you have something like 6lpwr's truck, yeah, it's probably gonna get denied.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut

JR

If you don't mind pay'n the tow bring it on over. :wavey: lol I don't know any guys out there though..

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
That is just an example of some things we look at. Will those marks alone be grounds for denial.......probably not. If those marks are there with other indicators, there would be more discussion. I showed MikeStoke the marks on his pistons, and explained them. If you have something like 6lpwr's truck, yeah, it's probably gonna get denied.

Vince,

What do you think caused MikeStoke's stock truck to have daisy marks on the pistons?

If you don't mind pay'n the tow bring it on over. :wavey: lol I don't know any guys out there though..

We'll see what the insurance company let's me get away with.... Hah! I'll probably be back in Connecticut by the time I'll be needing any major work. That's what I'm shooting for anyways.

JR

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
I am just curious. As a tech when you see something like this who do you report it to? Who makes the decision to bump it up the ladder and get the ford warranty people involved?

Have you ever had a customer try to bribe you in not reporting something?

blacksnapon

Staff member
I am just curious. As a tech when you see something like this who do you report it to? Who makes the decision to bump it up the ladder and get the ford warranty people involved?

Have you ever had a customer try to bribe you in not reporting something?
I've always said, your best friend, or your worst enemy is your tech when you go into the garage. The tech doesn't have to report anything. There is an on line form that the tech can fill out if he so desires. It goes to Ford, then the FSE comes out to verify your findings.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts