Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Why do you modify your rig??

It seems that Ford owners can be divided into two groups:

1) The ones that think Ford engineers know what they are doing so no point in changing the design of the rig.

2) The ones that think that Ford does not know what they are doing and/or did not maximize the potential of their rigs for various reasons and thus there is much room for improvement...be it vanity or functionality.

Any mod that I do consists of making the rig more simple, easy to diagnose and easy to work on by getting rid of systems and components that I deem useless and parasitic. These mods also yield reliability and performance gains. I think Ford did a geat job with the MAF EEC-IV, but there are other systems that I thought were not that great and I either bypassed those systems or altered them to my liking.

ACarbone624

I Love My Ford Truck!
I like to customize my vehicles so they stand out and look different from everyone elses. Also I make them sound and perform better. I like being the envy of the neighborhood!

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I like to do it to support our economy. See my other thread on New Carnage Picture. ROFL

Actually, I like to make mine stand out. I also like to go fast, though not so much as I used to. You should have put this in the General Conversation Thread as this applies to ALL models as well and I bet most would answer the same way no matter what model.

As for the engineers knowing what they're doing, I think that depends on what model you bought and what you want it to do. For my 6.0L diesel, there were many mods to make it last longer and run better. It's not so much the engineers didn't know what they were doing as it was trying to meet some emissions standards set by the Feds that force an engine to use more fuel to run and therefore create more emissions than if they did it the easy way. So, I removed some unneccessary items to make it more efficent. :) AND it'll run longer, so long as I don't soup it up too much again.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
I like to do it to support our economy. See my other thread on New Carnage Picture. ROFL

Actually, I like to make mine stand out. I also like to go fast, though not so much as I used to. You should have put this in the General Conversation Thread as this applies to ALL models as well and I bet most would answer the same way no matter what model.

As for the engineers knowing what they're doing, I think that depends on what model you bought and what you want it to do. For my 6.0L diesel, there were many mods to make it last longer and run better. It's not so much the engineers didn't know what they were doing as it was trying to meet some emissions standards set by the Feds that force an engine to use more fuel to run and therefore create more emissions than if they did it the easy way. So, I removed some unneccessary items to make it more efficent. :) AND it'll run longer, so long as I don't soup it up too much again.

emphasis on AGAINsmilietease

Michigan
Because theres never enough power! Well for me n e wayz. Rite now im lookin for economy because i drive it 2 hours a day 3 days a week for school. But after college or if i can get my hands on a POS gas mileage car, then il be lookin for HORSEPOWER!!!!

Most of my modifications fall into six categories.

1. Mission critical, using Ford parts.

http://frederic.woodbridgedata.com/index.php?p=f350-radius-bushings

2. Mission critical, monkey-rigging with non-ford parts because I found something useful lying around.

(I don't have a page on it but my crewcab has a Chrysler minivan delay wiper module instead of the Ford one, and a knot of connectors/wiring - was the only way to have wipers on a particularly rainy day).

3. Mission critical, homemade stuff because I can't find anything lying around:

http://frederic.woodbridgedata.com/index.php?p=f350-catadapter

4. Feature upgrade using Ford parts.

http://frederic.woodbridgedata.com/index.php?p=f350-windstar-cluster

5. Feature upgrade using other parts.

http://frederic.woodbridgedata.com/index.php?p=f350-overhead-console

6. Homemade stuff "just because" I have nothing better to do and was told "get rid of that pile of steel damnit!". So, I obliged.

http://frederic.woodbridgedata.com/index.php?p=f350-superbumper

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
you know every time i look at your digital dash frederic i so want one! haha

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
well for me i modify mine so i can do more in a sense. like i have some off road lights in front for when im driving in the dark on the backroads. i have a truck toolbox in back for all my stuff like coolant, oil, tow ropes, some tools, and so on. at this point im not too concerned about the cosmetics of my truck but more of the ability of my truck on and off road.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
i think everyone mod their vehicle for the same reason...

to be UNIQUE!!! its not fun to see 10 look a likes in the parking lot.. with the same sounding exhuast.. blag

and to feel proud.. to see the mod and said i did it and feel good about myself..

Be Faster , be Louder , Be bigger

Last edited:
Dang frederic, way to be resourceful!!

Here are some examples of some modifications that I have done...

EFAN conversion...

7dc04017.jpg

Manual steeing conversion...

7dc04021.jpg

Last edited:

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
i choose option 3
i think the engineers did there jobs based on what the every day granpa would do to his truck. I modify it because...im really hard on it...45-50 mpg on gravel roads. Jumping bridges. Burnouts. Drag racing. hauling dumptrucks out of the mud (the stock AOD doesnt last long after that) I even used to go up to my buddys place where he would take the fridges out of his rent houses and and id smash them into trees. Mudding...water forging.

broke my first ujoint at 100,007 miles. Doing a burnout infront of votech. ive snapped one another. but ive replaced the other 2, twice. (switched to HD). Ive gone through about 15 sets of used tires. Usually driving on wires for months.
ive put in the range of 2500.00 in my truck since i bought it 2 years ago. with 86k on it, now it has 120k

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
waw finnaly i saw some of eco's work..

and gotta say nice work :D

when is it going to be up and running around?

Fellro

Staff member
There are times I have to wonder what the heck they were thinking... 2.5 exhaust on a diesel??? Choking it off with half size intake? I modify mine to make a good thing better, and to make it be able to do the job I need it to better.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
To be honest my modifications are strictly to have someone come up and say "Man that's cool, I've never seen that before!" i.e. exhaust tips, my new custom hood design I'm workin on, custom tailgate idea I'm kickin around, and the possible lambo style doors I am trying to figure out how to make(cause I haven't seen them on our trucks before!) I think they make em but why buy when you can build?!

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
actually someone in NH had a pair for sale! but they were WAY overpriced.....like $800! for f-ing hinges!

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
actually someone in NH had a pair for sale! but they were WAY overpriced.....like $800! for f-ing hinges!

Found a set online for 399! Not bad! may have to look into it!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts