Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Headlights Flickering

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
So the other night I had to turn off the main road because my headlamps where flickering so bad that people were pulling over! How embarrassing! By the time I got to the back road to my place they were turning on and off. Switch went really fast! So I went to Napa in the morning and got a new light switch ($40 dollars and 15 minutes to replace) all better :)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Circuit breaker built into the switch....good and bad idea....you get the added heat from the rheostat for the instrument lights...heat doesn't help a thermal breaker.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Don't get me going on that crap..smilietease

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Brightest will create the least amount of heat...ever notice how the nichrome wire is wrapped in a ceramic housing. How much longer it will extend the life of the switch is unknown.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Did the headlight knob fit in the new switch, okay? I've had fitment problems with new switches before. I ended up going back to a DC switch because of that.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Did the headlight knob fit in the new switch, okay? I've had fitment problems with new switches before. I ended up going back to a DC switch because of that.

Hi Doug,
Not sure about earlier trucks, but for the '83 the replacement switch comes without the shaft that the headlight knob fits on.You have to remove the shaft from the old switch by pushing a little button on the housing and the shaft will pull out. Then you push it into the new switch till it "clicks" into place. I'll post a picture of the old switch for you.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Ok Doug, here's the pic's :)
headlamp_switch_001.jpg

headlamp_switch_002.jpg

headlamp_switch_003.jpg

Last edited:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thank You, Roy. I was asking if the old knob fit ok in the new switch. Sorry for the confusion. I couldn't get the knob to stay in place. The knob would pull out when I tried to turn on the lights.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Oh, lets see if I got this right, the chrome knob that slides on the shaft? The new switch doesn't come with the shaft. You have to use the original so I had no problem of the headlight knob not working. Sorry if I still haven't answered your question properly Doug, ack!

Yes, that's it, Roy. Thanks. It's confusing talking about knobs. :D

Ford Truck Articles