Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rear axle HELP!! :)

lstpan2

New York Chapter member
HI guys,
well im no mechanic but usually can take it apart and get it back together, however this issue was there when i bought the truck and i need some advice..

OK, i am redoing the rear brakes (fronts done) and i wanted to replace the axle seals while it was apart cause the psg side was leaking.. I noticed when i took the driver side apart the brake drum wasn't covering the entire brake shoe, in other words the axle is out to far. I went ahead and replaced everything and it went together well but again the axle is out to far. I measured the width of the bearing and retainer which matched the axle housing and tried slipping the axle in different slots...

Anyway im a little lost here so any help will be appreciated..

Oh sorry 65 f100 300 six looks like standard ford rear end

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Is the axle fastened, it won't pull out?

If so, I'm betting someone, at some point changed the axle.
Not sure of your application, but some axles on trucks are tow different sizes, could be someone replaced a left one with a right one, etc

A picture of the axle, and one of the whole rear would be helpful

lstpan2

New York Chapter member
Hey thanks for the reply.. Well i looked everything over better today and the axles are identical but the backing plates are much different.. The one on the drivers side is 1/2" deeper then the psg side. I'm assuming they are supposed to be the same, does anyone have a idea what this one might be off of? The brake components all work and lined up perfect..

Second, would anyone have the correct on they would be willing to sell?

Thanks again Mark

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts