Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1991 F250 power window problem

I recently purchased this truck. The previous owner told me that the power windows do not work and he thought it was an electrical problem. I bought a new 30 amp circuit breaker, but it still does not work. Incidentally, the power locks on a different circuit rarely work. It seems that I have to wait for the circuit breaker to reset before that will work again. Do you think I have a short in the system affecting both circuits? What should I try next?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I'd run a 12v source directly to the window motor (cut the wires and run them to a battery) to see if it's not just the motor itself.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
No problem. IIRC, you might not even have to do any cutting; there should be a quick connect close to the motor.

Yes there was a quick connect. I did not get anything when I connected to a 12 volt power source. I went to a junkyard and got a pair of mechnical regulators for $20.00, but I had to remove them myself, which is not hard to do, but you have to drill out the rivets. I should be able to install them this afternoon and be ready to roll down my windows on a nice day!. Thanks.

Well it didn't go as smoothly as I hoped. It appears that the mechanical regulators require a longer track that the window sits in. Since this is no longer electrical in nature, I am going to start a new "thread" under a more fitting category.

Ford Truck Articles