Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Is a 521 right for my truck?

I have a 1978 super cab F250 with 6" lift and 42" tires rolled by 5:13 gears with Detroit lockers on both ends. It has a C6 heavy duty Stage 2 backed by a NP205.
I use it almost every day in the winter in the Rocky Mountains at 7000 feet of elevation. We call it snow boggin' locally. Think of a combination of rock crawling, desert racing, sand duning and mud bogging all in one trip. Part of the time I need to idle around and part of the time I need high rpm. I have been running a 9.3:1 375 hp 400 using Tim Meyers engine kit but continually have issues inherent to the 400 and have just spun a rod bearing. I want to build a big block this time.
I already have two motors to choose from. A D1VE block D3VE heads internally balanced 460 out of a 1977 F250 or an externally balanced 460 from a 1985 F250 with D9TE-AB block and more D3VE heads. I am wondering about doing a mild stroker to run on 87 octane in the 9.0 to 9.5:1 c/r range. I am thinking the Scat kit and bore to reach 521ci. I know I will be using mass air MPFI which requires a single plane intake . I am thinking of using a mildish cam to keep it streetable but have the intake and heads flow for the top end. Is this a reasonable plan for something of a daily driver or is their too much maintenance involved with a stroker? Will I have to pull the pan to check for bearing walk often? Will I have problems with valve springs? What things am I not thinking about that might give me problems?
If this is a reasonable motor to build I have more questions. Which block should I use assuming they pass magnafluxing? Does the D9TE having "deeper" cylinders matter that much for the stroker I am considering? How much trouble is it to match a flexplate to an external balanced engine? What single plane intake should I use? What grind of cam should balance my needs? Should I have some port work done on my D3VE heads and larger valves or should I find D0VE C8 or C9 types? Do I need to go with aluminum? Would Performer RPM be enough or do I need TFS Street?Will I need a high-volume oil pump? If so will I need a pan with a windage tray? Is my current dual 2.5" exhaust through offset Magnaflows enough or do I need 3"? What horsepower would this combination give me? I am not inerested in huge hp numbers breaking the rest of my drivetrain. What else am I missing? Sorry for the long post but I have been lurking and searching a lot and haven't found definitive answers to my specific build.

Welcome to FTF..... I can't answer your question but there is one guy in particular that I can think of that can. 340B is his screen name and it just so happens his truck is the Truck of the Month on our homepage. His truck has a 557ci in it...

Thanks for the replies. I was admiring 340B's truck earlier!

I hope I can help and answer some of your questions. First you should know I am no engine expert, but I have lived with my stroker for 14 years and 72,000 miles and during that time it was set-up at one time or another for higher-end horsepower or bottom-end grunt with most of that done through changing the cam and carb.
My engine as it is set-up now is for heavy duty towing so low-end grunt is where it is at, a stock, mild or R.V. tow cam is what I have been told is the best for that. I have run a higher horsepower racier cam in the truck and it did give better top-end performance. But at a cost of a weaker bottom-end and for me towing performance. So I would say since you are looking for rock-crawling, dunning, desert racing and mud bogging performance where instant throttle response is so important. Bottom-end performance is the more important factor rather than top-end dyno numbers and speed at the end of a quarter mile. So I agree with your "mildish cam" thinking from my personal experience.
As far as the "bearing walk" issue, my 557 stroker kit from Probe Engineering has never had any problems with that issue through is life so far.
As for a lot of your engine engineering questions. I would say find a very experience engine builder to ask these questions too. Also be ready to think long and hard about what you want your engine performance and longevity to be and at what cost you are willing to spend to get it there.
My stroker engine build was not cheap.. but as years and miles go by the rewards, enjoyment and smiles have been many.
If I can answer any other questions about living with one I would be happy to answer. I did not give you much in the details of my engine but I can supply them if you want.

Thank you for the compliment on my truck Mhjgrant and I hope bucks77ford will be able to fill in a lot of the blanks I left you.

Last edited:

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
the one thing i'll say is dont cheap on the machine work when putting together a stroker.. have them balance it fully internally on the crank

2.. is if your gonna use carb'd heads.. you have to stay carbed.. or EFI you get EFI heads.. different intake port design.. i think there are adapters though... not sure...

not big on the 385 series..

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
340b
Gave you some simple answers, but one looming questions is where you want your power to be?

If its throttle response and power on the bottom end then your build will be different than if you want power out the top...

I'm glad you are doing your research and that you are asking the right questions, I can give you more help and help point you in the right direction.

Need to know where you want the power to be or where you actually need it to be.

Also, what has made you decide on a 521?

Thank you 340B for the genuine response. I am impressed an engine that large has lasted so many miles. I have been given the impression strokers are inherently somewhat less long lived. I am getting the opinion from your build that they can be very long lived and reliable.
5.0Flareside thank you for input on machining. The EFI system I will be using is full custom and does not rely on any stock 460 EFI components to require fitment to EFI heads.
Truckin4life thanks for your questions to develop my topic further. I thought I had included a hp goal in my first post but must have forgotten. I am thinking the 450 hp range give or take but I am open to suggestions as to what my hp goal should be. I am thinking a stroker because I have been led to believe they build their hp as well as greater torque at lower rpms. I am thinking 521 because I am almost certain my block will need to be bored from stock otherwise I might do a 514. I am open to suggestions of other sizes, even not stroking, if that is your opinion. As 340B stated, I think I am most interested in throttle response and bottom end grunt but I would hope not to have a tremendous fall off on the top end. I guess I am hoping for a broad power range not a limited power band.
I have considered a diesel swap as I love the torque of my Powerstrokes but my brother has a 7.3 off-road truck and the lack of rpm range and extra weight up front are fairly detrimental. I thought a stroker might give me a diesel torque feel without the weight, restricted rpms, noise and complicated swap. Thanks again everyone.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364174023.008398.jpg
This is the snow I need to get through

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
That's a little bit of snow :D Neat pic

Also, are you sure you need a stroker? Not trying to steer you away at all, but a well built 460 can make a lot of power...

I am not sure that I need a stroker it just seems like it fills the bill for what I am looking for.

I have a local shop that puts together custom sequential port mass air systems. They machine and weld injector bosses into your intake and build the fuel rail. Then using a 1000 cfm throttle body, mass air sensor, and billet distributor they tie it together with computer and you get an awesome running motor all the time.

340B would you mind sharing what heads and intake manifold you are using? Is your cam an off the shelf or custom grind. How large is your exhaust? Is your C6 custom built? Have you ever had your engine or truck on a dyno?

340B would you mind sharing what heads and intake manifold you are using? Is your cam an off the shelf or custom grind. How large is your exhaust? Is your C6 custom built? Have you ever had your engine or truck on a dyno?

The heads are stock 1976 Ford 460 heads, the intake manifold is a Edelbrock Performer with a Holly 650. The cam is an off the shelf with a very close to stock profile. The exhaust is 3" duals. The C-6 is stock but has a R.V. tow torque converter and a cooler added. I have never had my engine on a dyno. But was told by the engine builder and the company that made the kit, that as built it should put out around 650 lbs. of torque and around 500 hp.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing the components in your engine 340B. I appreciate learning about proven combinations. Thanks for your input too prime time. I have spent considerable time on those websites and have read the car craft article previously. I appreciate the openness and friendly suggestions of this forum!

I am glad I could help a little bit. Please keep us informed on what you decide and learn on your stroker build.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts