Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Brush painting in the cold?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Was wondering if it was possible to brush paint my old plow rig in weather that is 30-40 degrees and not mess anything up. This thing isn't going to shows and believe me, anything painted on won't be much worse than what's there now, just thought I'd see if:

1) it was plausible and

2) if it was, would it really make a mess and look worse than what it is

Thanks.....

Can you get it into a garage and heat it up for a couple of days Ken?
Even getting it to an ambient of 50 odd deg will make all the difference ..... if you can do that make sure the paint is in the same room so it's at the same temp.
Be a lot more pleaant to paint it inside anyway.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
You'll have to heat it up at least a little... 50 would be good. And you'd probably do better to roll it than brush it.

For the record its really not hard to get a sprayer and spray it on either. Takes a lot of practice to look like a pro, but it only takes a little practice to look 10000% better than a brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Even at 50 deg, paint takes a LONG time to dry. Could you rent a storage unit for a month and store it in there?

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Personally i dont advise it Ken..even if you were sucesssfull to get the paint on and dried it probably wont bond correctly below temps,then youll have a peeling issue on top of it..If you can wait a couple weeks...being were on the downside of winter now..Temps will be on the rise soon....watch the weather and wait for a couple sunny days with warmer temps above 50 then go for it...

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Yeah I hear ya fellas....thanks. I'm just excited to get it looking decent! It's mechanically sound with a new inspection sticker after a bunch if work and we think we're going to sell the POS dodge now!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
It got up to 40 today, so 50+ is right around the corner! I say that in the middle of a snow storm!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
couple hundred bucks.. it's tough shit.. and is removable when ya want too..

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jzi_JQMWH4">YouTube Link</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r7xvBSqhOE">YouTube Link</a>

Wow, that's an idea......what about rattle canning it w the over the counter bed liner aerosols?

LineX for my POS (but somewhat proud of it) is over budget.

Ford Truck Articles