Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

build it or buy it?

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
Build might not be the best word, mod might be better.

So I've gotten the itch lately to either start adding stuff to my truck or just going out and buying a new one that already has it all. Most of it is cosmetic/luxury stuff that isn't really necessary but stuff I would just like to have. Some of it is functional though too. I'll list a few and you guys can give your opinions on if I should mod or go new.

getting soft in my old age options
heated seats
remote start
heated mirrors
sunroof ( not a must but for some reason I've been wanting one)

cosmetic
wheels
black headlights and taillights
bumper/light bar (nothing too outrageous)

functional
line-x
tires (little more aggressive tread pattern)

might be a few others too but that's all that pops up right now. The itch may go away too, I'm not necessarily unhappy with my truck. Any ideas for mods are welcome too.

Everything on your list included herein.....
smilieawshucks-smiley-018.gif

vehicle.png

In Stock 2012 f-150 SVT Raptor Window Sticker

67396021.jpg

Last edited:

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
The sunroof would be the only non bolt in mod. I am guessing you could modify your truck for a whole lot less than buying a new truck with all that done to it already.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
The sunroof would be the only non bolt in mod. I am guessing you could modify your truck for a whole lot less than buying a new truck with all that done to it already.

The new one would definitely be a bit more pricey. I have looked and even found one that I liked. I'm in a good position with my truck, used truck prices are up and mine is what they're looking for to put on their used lot.

Some of the decision is doing it myself and having something more personalized the other side is having it all done and just enjoying it.

There is also the FTF factor too. Doing everything to my truck would mean more posts for me and more activity. Maybe even a shot at TOTM. :wasntme: smilietease

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'm of the "run it into the ground" mentality. So, as funding permits, I modify what I have to be what I want, then keep it until I can't drive it anymore.

Other people seem to like the idea of getting a new car/truck fairly regularly just for the sake of change.

(I might make an exception to the "mod what you've got" philosophy for a sunroof, though- never seen an aftermarket one that impressed me. I'm not really a big fan of sunroofs, though- lots of noise for not much wind, in my opinion. Gimme a rear slider any day.)

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Unless you're unhappy with what you have for a motor, transmission, and 4x4, there's no reason to go sign a note on a new truck. Put a little love in the one you have and it'll be more fun for you, plus more satisfying.

Ryan

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Mod it yourself...if you buy it, you'll incur a new payment and you'll still want to tweak the new rig and you'll find things you don't like with it. Currently, you have a known commodity and what you want to do with it. What you save in a payment can go toward parts (and labor if necessary).

I have to agree with the guys Scott - do the modifications yourself not just because you have a known quantity in your rig but because it just feels so dam good to be able to point to your truck and say "i did that".

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'd opt for doing it myself, especially on the new trucks...it seems that most items are made to bolt on..on the the other hand, a sunroof is something I woudn't do..I'd want a factory installed one.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Do it yourself minus the sunroof. All aftermarket sunroofs leak sooner or later normally sooner.

I have a Lincoln installed sunroof that's been in for 8 adjustments and still leaks with a heavy rain. So I'd expand that to ALL sunroofs leak sooner or later.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm beginning to think you got the proverbial lemon with that car Ben...which is just plain crappy for you.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
2000 mountaineer sunroof has never let a drop through, unless I leave it open. ;)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That's been my experience with 2 trucks and the MKT...not a drop.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts