Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

A trip back in time Ford Motor co 1947-1988

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Just thought i would share some old memeories of what use to be...every time i open this book....its a pretty emotional ride for me guys....this is where my Father worked for 30yrs....A member of UAW Local 542 he was a tool and die maker....

927.JPG

The book contains the history of the plant,workers,Memories....

928.JPG

Front view of the plant

fordplant_001.JPG

Arial shot

Last edited:

BuzzGun79

The Plant: Consisted of land,building, and equipment.Plant had been used to produce forgings for heat treating of metals

Land: Area consisted of 17.2 acres

Buildings: Consisted of 12 major and minor buildings as listed on plot plan.Total floor area 167,000 sq ft

Factory building is of steel frame construction.concrete foundation.steel trusses and columns,corrugated transite siding above brickwork other side and both ends,transite monitor type roof.Steel and wood sash large rolling steel doors and small wooden entance doors.Floor area 153,230 sq ft.Celing heights center bay 54ft 0" Norht bay 55ft 0",South bay 20ft 6" Fluorescent.

Eleven minor buildings including,Powerhouse,Labratory,Office,Service Building,Meter house,3 pump sub stations,2 Firehouses..General construction types were concrete foundations,concrete and wood frame brick walls,concrete slab roofs.Wood sash and doors.Vapor proof and fluorescent lighting. Total floor area 15,549 sq ft.

Product equipment: 42 items of various type furnaces including heating reheating and cooling ect.Also miscellaneous items including 3,000 ton press,vertical saw,cold saws,grinder,drill press ect.

Labratory equipment was 4 tables,1 electric furnace.Furnature and fixtures 13 items including desks,cabinets lockers ect.

Portable tools: 57 items including anvil,wrenches,saw teeth,ect

Utilities"" water furnished by City of Canton,Auxiliary supply by wells on site.
Sewers: Sanitary sewers discharged to septic tank on site

Electric Power and light: Furnished by Ohio Power co.Power current AC,22000/2300/440 V,3 Phase 60 cycles.Light current A.C. 120/208V 3 phase 60 cycle

Natural Gas Supplied by East Ohio Gas Co.

Plumbing: Toilet facilities for 315 employees.

Heating and Ventilation provided by Powerhouse; Office,labratory,forging plant offices,Service Building heated by low pressure steam utilizing standard tubular radiators.Natural ventilation generally.Power house ventilated by forced air exhaustion through louvers.

Cranes: 2-30 ton/10 ton traveling: 1-15 ton traveling;1- 1 ton tramrail;1-1/4 ton tramrail with hoist.

Transportation: Railroad: Three sides enter the plant.Pennsylvania RR Services the territory.Highways: Paved roads of Canton connect with artrial highways.Airport: Akron Canton Airport.

The Plant employed a little over 1,535 workers.

BuzzGun79

Shortly After My adoption in 63,The company held its Annual Open house in September.Dad would take me to the shop to view the New car lineup for the upcoming yr. The fall lineup would be parked just out in front of the building in the lot.The factory would give tours of the plant in the less hazardous areas of production.It wasnt till 1969 till i went inside the plant.In the locker room he handed me a hardhat,earplugs,safety glasses,looked me dead in the eye and said I will show you what i do here.Do not leave my side,touch anything,or vary out of the saftey lines on the floor,I MEAN IT ROBERT! as he opened the shop door and pointed to the yellow safety lines painted on the floor.I gave him a nod and said nothing for I must admit it was a bit intimidating hearing the constant banging that shook the floor and machines sounds filling the air pretty loudly even with earplugs.needless to say this was a yearly event and i always looked forward to the trip.I did learn later Dad was risking his employment by taking me to his work & others stations.Although i did meet many of his collegues and supervisors they kept things pretty quite and realized what my father was doing,and i was repsponsible to listen to his commands in the shop..It was pretty damn cool...I would also tag along with dad the first Sunday of every month to the UAW Local 542 union meetings..Listening and learning, not to mention taking advantage of the free soda pop and refreshments as well.....hehe

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts