Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New F150 Question

I have an F150 4x4 crew cab, 5.6 engine. About 5 months ago I was hauling an enclosed trailer and I punched the gas to pass and all my gauges went to zero and I heard a little clicking sound. As soon as I let off the gas, everything went back to normal. Since then its happened a couple of times and only when I have punched it to pass. Any ideas on what this might be or how to fix it?

My 2004 E350 gauges did that one time but it wasn't while I was moving. It happened when I started it, and then went back to normal like it did a computer check or diagnostic check or something.

No codes showed up. No, it's happened a couple of times. When it happens and all gauges go to zero and I hear that clicking sound; it almost sounds like something that should kick in for the passing speed just can't do it. Again, it will only do it when I floor it and the engine tries to grab that passing gear. Like a relay switch that's stuck, that's what it sounds like.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Whenever you have "something wierd" happening, you usually can bet the farm its a ground. Lets look at something here, No codes. The pcm will show them only if it "sees" them. To have a proper circuit, you need power, and a ground. A pcm works by supplying the ground. Inspect grounds behind the kick panels both on the driver side and passenger side. Then look at the grounds around the battery and the fenders.

Since I'm no mechanic. I heard once that when you have something like this happen and you need to see if a code popped up, you have "X" amount of times starting the engine before it clears itself. Is this true?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Since I'm no mechanic. I heard once that when you have something like this happen and you need to see if a code popped up, you have "X" amount of times starting the engine before it clears itself. Is this true?
Its not "x" amount of starts, its "x" amount of drive cycles. And again, if the pcm is "dead" it wont see a problem then set a code.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts