Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tire Life

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
Just for curiosity sake, I'd be interested to know what kind of tire life most of us are getting on TIB and TTB frame trucks. The reason I'm asking, is I've had FANTASTIC life out of tires on mine. This is completely contrary to the common tire eating habits of Ford Effies with Twin I beam. I'd also be interested in knowing what some have done to prolong the life of their tires.

Since I've owned my truck, it's currently on it's 3rd set of tires after 155K. This set actually went on at about 104K. It came with a General brand LT tire. From that, I went to Goodyear Wrangler HT's. Got about 48K outta the Generals, and about 56K outta the GY HT's. This set, with 51K on 'em (and probably that much more left in 'em) is the Michelin XC-LT4.

I do mostly highway mileage in my truck, so the most common wear is the inside edge on the fronts. This is an inherent flaw of the Twin I beam, with the steering box mounted above the centerline of the tie rods. Down force on the front of a vehicle with the aerodynamics of an outhouse causes some toe out because of the triangle in the tie rod design and negative camber because of the pivot points. That will sacrifice the inner edges of the tires for steering performance at higher speeds. Starting with the 3rd alignment of the GY HT's, I had my favorite tire shop come in 1/4* on the toe, and 1/4* positive camber. This is a little noticeable at low speed, but not enough to bother me. Put it on the highway at 75-80 MPH, though, and the steering is about as neutral as anyone could ask for. The change over spec was enough to neutralize the wear on the fronts, but not enough to make it squirrely on rutted highway. The largest improvement, though was tire wear, Like I said, I've got 51K on the Michelins, and probably that much more left. They're simply not wearing. I was having to rotate every 6K (every 2nd oil change) before to get any life from tires, but in 51K, these Michelins have been rotated ONCE. The tread is still flat all the way across, with no indication of excessive wear on the edges.

Anyone else got some tricks like this?

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Did the same thing on mine. Got over 60K on a set of Les Schwab on-off road 30's, rotated tires every 9K miles or so. A lot is in how you drive- the kid is on his third set of tires on his Ranger..... in 40,000 miles, and they're due for replacement.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
When I got my Ranger (TIB, though probably not what you had in mind), it had just over 200k, and the tires were cheapy off-brands with about 40k miles on 'em. The fronts were shot due a crappy alignment (pulled hard to the right- I think the PO whacked a curb...), but I put almost another 10k on 'em (dumb move, since it failed inspection in March due to bad tires, and was a terrifying ride through that winter). The rears I ran to about 60k (but I bought snows for the rear after that first winter) and one of 'em is now on my trailer.

On the front now, I've got a set of Michelin WeatherWise (pretty cheap at Sears) with probably about 36k on 'em. Tread looks great- they basically look like new. After the first couple winters though, it's become pretty apparent they reason they wear so well is that they've hardened pretty bad. I'm too cheap to replace 'em, but I think I'm gonna move 'em to the back when the snows come off next spring.

That being said, I'm dumb when it comes to tires. I run the cheapest crap I can find, and leave 'em on way too long. A combination of cheapness and macho "I don't need good tires" attitude, I suppose, that will undoubtedly bite me one day. (Nearly did on Friday night, actually, but that was all my fault.'smiliedoh' )

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
Umm, didn't the '97 Ranger have A-frame suspension, or was that the change in '98?

I had a '98 Ranger (3.0/5 spd) for a company truck from late '97 to 2003. (Splash package w/o decals) My boss gave me a buncha crap about wanting a Ford and manual tranny, but I pointed to the amount of work all his 'other' brand trucks were needing/getting, including his woes with his Suburban. Mine was the ONLY Ford in the entire fleet of 20+ vehicles. When I turned it in at 98K, all it EVER had was normal routine service, and one set of tires to replace the Firestones that went BOOM (at just over 30K). I tried really hard to buy that little truck when he sold the business, but, it was an asset that he was turning over to the buyer, and the buyer wouldn't even talk to me about it. 3 months later, one of the buyer's electricians was driving it and turned it upside down in a swamp and totalled it. I knew the guy driving, and fortunately no one was hurt (chalk up another one for safety belts and a tough Ford).

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
'98 was the change in Ranger suspensions, and a whole bunch of other things.

Mine's got twin i-beams.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
Here are a couple shots of my 1st set of Michelin LTX M/S's with 90K miles on them. These were on my Ranger:

93923593-L.jpg

93923594-L.jpg

93923595-L.jpg

I tried to show that the tread was above the wear-bar.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I am personally a BFG man (no not the tires... stands for Big ****'n Go-nads) - just joking!!!

My first set of BFG "Rugged Trail" tires lasted 90,000 miles (Stock/OEM). I then upgraded to the BFG All-Terrain's for a little more agreesive styling of the tread. I believe I will get maybe 40,000 - 50,000 miles out of them?

I rotate the "Rugged Trails" every 10,000 miles and my new All-Terrain's I do every 5,000 miles since COSCO does it for free (great place to buy tires)!!!!smiliegitrdone

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts