Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Anyone want a K&N drop in filter??

you think those things do what they claim??? I have no experience with them-the 90 had one in it and I replaced it with a stock version-bought the recharge kit but just never cleaned it up and stuck it back in-any views on them???

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
All they do is pass more dirt and oil than the stock OEM paper filter, which contaminates MAF sensors, and gums up IAC valves & throttle bodies....

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
It didn't do anything for my truck. When mine gets dirty I'm going back to stock.

I imagine that if you had a modified engine and needed to move more air it could be beneficial.

Ryan

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Not sure how many of you saw my thread but I switched from a K&N fuel injection performance kit (the cylindrical K&N filter) back to a stock airbox and the improvement in throttle response is VAST. I know we're talking about a drop-in filter, but after that experience I think I'm done with K&N. Using a Motorcraft paper filter now.

The only experience with them I have is on carbed motors where hood clearence is a problem due to tall manifold, carb spacer etc. and a tall air cleaner wont work (due to clearence). The motor had a power band of 4000-7000 rpm, so the motor thus moved a lot of air. A paper filter that would fit would not flow nearly enough...the K&N one made a huge difference. The carb butterflies were very clean after a few years and the motor still has the same amount of compression it did from day one, so that shows that the filter is working well. So...do they work? In some applications yes. Does that mean they are ideal for everyone and in every application? Probably not. I just grabed this one because I saw it, it was free and I figured it may come in handy some day.

And skan, you went from open element sucking in hot air to a stock set up with an air horn sucking in cool air. The air intake plumbing made the difference, not the filter or the fact that it was a K&N...so you make a moot point.

Anyways, I have a taker...Str8racing.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
The thing that always kills me is when I see a truck like mine, where you can SEE the K&N filter when they open the hood. That's a WARM air intake, and if you'd paid attention to that "junk" factory one before you ripped it out, you might have noticed that it's already got a cold air intake, right from the factory.

The thing that always kills me is when I see a truck like mine, where you can SEE the K&N filter when they open the hood. That's a WARM air intake, and if you'd paid attention to that "junk" factory one before you ripped it out, you might have noticed that it's already got a cold air intake, right from the factory.

Thats what skan had...

I am told that for every 11 degrees you cool the air, you get 1 hp (I have yet to verify this). It's hard to say how warm the underhood air is, because the only way to get a reading that I know of involves opening the hood. But it definetly gets warm enough to cost you several hp.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
And skan, you went from open element sucking in hot air to a stock set up with an air horn sucking in cool air. The air intake plumbing made the difference, not the filter or the fact that it was a K&N...so you make a moot point.
I'm well aware of that. My point was that I don't trust K&N anymore since they advertise the FIPK as ADDING horsepower and yet it DECREASED horsepower. Now whether or not the drop in filter WOULD improve my setup, I have no clue, but I just don't trust them anymore :p

Plus from what I've seen everyone else say, the K&N flows more air because it also flows more particulate through the filter. Not to mention my truck is MAF and excess oil can foul the sensor. No thanks ;)

Bob Ayers

Durham, NC
Plus from what I've seen everyone else say, the K&N flows more air because it also flows more particulate through the filter.

The K&N actually doesn't flow more air!

See if you can understand this scenario:

The MAX air flow the engine will pull is 500CFM

The OEM paper filter will flow 700CFM

The K&N filter will flow 900CFM

So, the engine will still pull 500CFM with the K&N, no additional air flow, just more dirt and oil!!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California

So, the engine will still pull 500CFM with the K&N, no additional air flow, just more dirt and oil!!
I've heard that point made before Bob, and thats what I meant in what I was saying. Allow me to restate. The K&N is CAPABLE of flowing more air thus it lets through more particulate ;)

Bob Ayers

Durham, NC
I've heard that point made before Bob, and thats what I meant in what I was saying. Allow me to restate. The K&N is CAPABLE of flowing more air thus it lets through more particulate ;)

Exactly!!!! The point to remember, the OEM paper filter IS NOT restricting air flow like K&N leads you to believe. With CAFE standards, NO vehicle manufacturer designs restrictive intakes/air filters!

But what if the engine is modified and then pulls 800cfm??

It appears that your point is that on a stock motor, the stock filter and air intake system is suitable, not that the K&N does not flow more air, because it is obvious that it does.

Also skan and Bob, if oiled and maintained properly, it will not allow dirt to flow thorugh. Oil yes (not much however), but not dirt.

Last edited:

Bob Ayers

Durham, NC
But what if the engine is modified and then pulls 800cfm??

It appears that your point is that on a stock motor, the stock filter and air intake system is suitable, not that the K&N does not flow more air, because it is obvious that it does.

Also skan and Bob, if oiled and maintained properly, it will not allow dirt to flow thorugh. Oil yes (not much however), but not dirt.

The only ways to increase the air flow the engine will pull are:

1) Increase displacement

2) Forced induction

And you are DEAD WRONG, a K&N filter does pass way more dirt than a paper filter! Just do a search on "dusted turbos", or high Si in UOA!

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Not sure how many of you saw my thread but I switched from a K&N fuel injection performance kit (the cylindrical K&N filter) back to a stock airbox and the improvement in throttle response is VAST. I know we're talking about a drop-in filter, but after that experience I think I'm done with K&N. Using a Motorcraft paper filter now.

But your air box lid has a K&N sticker on it. [confused] .

But its a mighty nice set up. Ever figure out how much stock setup it improved things. You said it ran better . smiliepeelout

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
But your air box lid has a K&N sticker on it. [confused] .

But its a mighty nice set up. Ever figure out how much stock setup it improved things. You said it ran better . smiliepeelout
I don't have any numbers but it's definitely running better/faster/stronger/harder (isnt that a song?)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts