Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

painting my wheels

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
well i guess this would be the best place to post this. im planning on painting my wheels this friday on my day off any suggestions on what i should paint it? right now they are painted black, and although i like the look, i think its time to change it now. i was thinking aluminum or something to that effect. any thought? here are my rims now
06-27-06_2008-1.jpg

...its the only pic i have on this computer of my truck, ill get the better one on later

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
hahaha yeah i actually thought about it........but then realized it would not look so good

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I vote bright yellow. (Like on my trailer.)

My grandfather had a thing for yellow wheels (he only bought two colors of paint- JD green, and yellow). He had a '69 VW that he repainted red with yellow wheels, a turd-brown '81 Chevette diesel that he painted the wheels yellow on, etc.

I wouldn't chose the color based on looks, but every time I need to paint a wheel, I paint it yellow as a tribute to him.

Seriously, though- I like the black, and I've never seen a metallic paint that I liked the results from. Nor do I have great results with regular paint (spray or brush) on wheels. If you can swing it, I'd get 'em powdercoated.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I painted my rear bumper with Duplicolor Silver/Metallic flake, I dont know the exact name of the paint ill get it tomorrow. Here is how the bumper looks. I think it would look good if you clearcoated over the paint.
1995FordF350RearWashed.jpg

yeah the stock rims on my 88 use to get discolored , I would spray them every two years,duplicolor silver rattle can just took my time and the looked great-told many people about that trick-they all thought I was buying new stock rims-and the trim rings,I would just never dull them-little tricks to keep-r -clean

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
i had a buddy when i was going to HS. take some stock steal 92-96 f150 rims...the ones that accepted the screwed down center cap. he painted them a silver color. Man they looked great on his red truck...i donated the caps..

Hes not the only with a green motor. My buddy was a putting his motor back together at 3am with a storm rolling in..fearing that the moisture woudl get tot he block over night...the only store open in town was an army surplus...and its graeger (or something like that) green. not quite as....bright as your motor..but its still a green motor...

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
haha hey at least its green! what would be cool is if someone painted it camo! that would definately be interesting. i should have some pictures tomorrow when i get a chance of the newly painted rims. they look really god compared to what i had

.....what would be cool is if someone painted it camo!.....

You won't believe this, but it is a true story. My brother's X-brother in law was with us in a parts store. He picked up a rattlecan of camo paint and asked us: "How do they get all those colors in one can?"

'smiliedoh' smilieloser

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
You won't believe this, but it is a true story. My brother's X-brother in law was with us in a parts store. He picked up a rattlecan of camo paint and asked us: "How do they get all those colors in one can?"

'smiliedoh' smilieloser
Oh man thats bad. My friend I went to tech school with was the king of dumb questions. I used to get mad and walk away. Some were so stupid. Ill have to think back on my school days and see if I can remember any.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts