Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Anyone else brake act up after using 4x4?

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Several time this year I have had to use the 4x4 to get to work . And for next 2-3 days after you can feel the antilock tap the brake peddle and rear brakes will grabe some. then goes away .

Any ideas.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Several time this year I have had to use the 4x4 to get to work . And for next 2-3 days after you can feel the antilock tap the brake peddle and rear brakes will grabe some. then goes away .

Any ideas.
Some of the vehicles then had programming that shut down, or defaulted the abs when activating 4x4. I'm not sure if yours falls into that category or not. Check if its fully unlocking, or not, and you might have an issue with the rear brakes (unrelated to the 4x4).

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Are you sure it's not more related to temperature?

With my basic understanding of the 4x4 system, there's nothing there that should affect the RABS nor the rear brakes. The 4wd system is essentially an ENTIRELY separate system from the rest of the truck.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Thats why I asked I know ABS is rear only .But funny even if I used 4x4 on farm to get fire wood it was 50 . the brakes still grabbed couple days after ward. I checked everything . Some thing must be acting up with it.

I was surprised the abs worked at all. Time to dig and find out.

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
Later Bronco's has 4 wheel ABS, as I recall.

I asked because buddy has a 95 bronco and had to get the sensors replaced to be able to get inspected, you see where the wire goes into the caliper, just making sure he right when he told me it was ABS. wish my truck had it like that.

Mike

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Thats why I asked I know ABS is rear only .But funny even if I used 4x4 on farm to get fire wood it was 50 . the brakes still grabbed couple days after ward. I checked everything . Some thing must be acting up with it.

I was surprised the abs worked at all. Time to dig and find out.
The only thing I can think of, is maybe your transfer case isn't fully disengaging for a period of time (several days) so the transfer case is 'catching' the chain and distributing power to the front shaft off-and-on... I know it's farfetched but thats the only thing that really makes sense to me...

You using auto hubs or manuals? Could also be an auto hub having trouble fully unlocking.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Our trucks only have RABS, yes... And I've never heard of the Bronco's having 4wABS... Really?!

Friend of mine has a '95 F-350 PSD. Bought it new, and I'm sure he gave the salesman a migraine. Put over 300k on it since then, in all weather conditions.

He told me it had 4-wheel ABS, and we then had a discussion about how stupid the RABS in my truck is.

I suppose it's possible he's wrong, but I REALLY doubt it- he's the sort of guy who knows EVERYTHING before he buys a vehicle, and after 13 years, is even less likely to be wrong.

*Mom's 2wd '94 Explorer had 4-wheel ABS, too. It was twice as scary to stop in the snow as it would'a been with no ABS at all.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Ian I know FOR SURE that the 9th gen F-series trucks like mine ONLY have rear abs, nothing on the front.

I am remembering now that the Bronco's DO have front wheel abs though. I remember seeing front abs as an option when I was looking for brake rotors.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
The only thing I can think of, is maybe your transfer case isn't fully disengaging for a period of time (several days) so the transfer case is 'catching' the chain and distributing power to the front shaft off-and-on... I know it's farfetched but thats the only thing that really makes sense to me...

You using auto hubs or manuals? Could also be an auto hub having trouble fully unlocking.

Still got auto they were new when I bought it and its not engaged. . I check rear brakes out . everything is out to spects .

I dont know being front and rear limited slip Mabey the Abs crap got to much a work out (200 Miles this week in 4x4) And its dieing .

I have had the em cables hang up and rear grab but this is all 4 it seems.

96 would be he only year, if any that would have 4WABS, OBD2 and such allows for more coplex systems. Complex in reference to EEC-IV

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I just ment that the long trips in 4x4 was giving the Rabs a work out and I thing mine is dieing. I took rear brakes apart nothing out of sorts reinstalled . But it still grabs quite often now . Ow well wait for warm weather and yang some parts to try off a parts truck of mine.

4x4 shouldnt affect RABS.. two different systems, one makes u go the other makes you stop, independant of each other. It may feel different cause the front end is/was locked.

did you just put new brakes in the back? metalic or ceramic? reman or new? lot of factors can make a difference in how the brakes will respond. It may be your front brakes that are grabby, especialy where there disc brakes.

if 4x4 were to affect any difference in brakes it would be the front as your engaging/disengaging the front end...

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
All brake ,pads, shoes, chalibers, wheel cylinders etc are FORD items and I put them on Last june for inspection. Didn't need them but I had parts.

I use 4x4 all times year and in all 19 of F trucks I had and never had this problem . I mark it up to age . :) me or truck u pick

As for 4x4 and anti lock according to a local dealer mechanic the use of 4x4 can cause what I described . The taping on your foot . Like allot of other anti lock systems . And since its doing it all time Something in abs system is bad (HE rattled off allot of things ) So its parts time . I'll put used ones on (have several of everything. And when find problem get new. He said about a sensors on a valve . He is going to look at it when gets warmer.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
i got one for you....how about after going through water in a 2wheel drive. Maybe the computer is over reacting to the water in the drum? Just a theory.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
On my Ranger (RABS) some rear brake pads will absorb water a little bit and swell slightly, making the rear brakes VERY grabby for a couple stops.

I usually notice it when it's sat on a really damp, rainy day (and even then, it's only done it a few times), but I've read of other people who've had their trucks do it a lot worse. Some brands of pads are supposed to be better than others, though I don't know what's in my truck.

They're grabby enough to make the RABS kick in just trying to slow down to make a corner, though.

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
Mine's 4X2, and I've had ZERO problems outta the rear brakes. They're still original factory pads, as a matter of fact.

HOWEVER, 6 months after I bought the truck (still in warranty) I noticed a little grabbing in the front wheels, which would also activate RABS. Probably because the nose dive when a front grabbed let one back one slip, and RABS kicked in. As the truck got older the grabbing got 'worser'. It was REALLY bad just before I changed the OE pads at 135K miles.

The BIG problem was, if I didn't warm the pads a little when I first started driving, on a rainy day, that thing was DANGEROUS. Warm them a little, though, and all was good, no grabbing at all. I just learned to be extremely careful on the first couple stops, or head down an open stretch of road at 40+, and try to slow the truck with the brakes while maintaining speed with the throttle. That was the ONLY time my left foot ever touched the brake pedal. (manual tranny) Dunno what it was, but it sure was frustrating for a brake system in good working order to do that. Having the manual, I get excellent service outta my brake parts. Only thing changed so far is the front pads at 155K. I also flushed the system with fresh fluid at about 140K, if you want to count the fluid as a part.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Mine's 4X2, and I've had ZERO problems outta the rear brakes. They're still original factory pads, as a matter of fact.

HOWEVER, 6 months after I bought the truck (still in warranty) I noticed a little grabbing in the front wheels, which would also activate RABS. Probably because the nose dive when a front grabbed let one back one slip, and RABS kicked in. As the truck got older the grabbing got 'worser'. It was REALLY bad just before I changed the OE pads at 135K miles.

The BIG problem was, if I didn't warm the pads a little when I first started driving, on a rainy day, that thing was DANGEROUS. Warm them a little, though, and all was good, no grabbing at all. I just learned to be extremely careful on the first couple stops, or head down an open stretch of road at 40+, and try to slow the truck with the brakes while maintaining speed with the throttle. That was the ONLY time my left foot ever touched the brake pedal. (manual tranny) Dunno what it was, but it sure was frustrating for a brake system in good working order to do that. Having the manual, I get excellent service outta my brake parts. Only thing changed so far is the front pads at 155K. I also flushed the system with fresh fluid at about 140K, if you want to count the fluid as a part.

Thats what mine did to start with . But they r grabbing for longer durations. I can lock all 4 up on gravel . I think its the proportioning valve or what ever they put on now. As for rear shoes I agree with you I had 175000 on a truck and the rears measured new. Show how good rear brakes work ) But I'm going to clean front rotors while I'm repacking bearings . Maybe I'll throw one Front Pad sets I got on shelf. New but squeeled or dust happy pads.) Till the Ford tech gets his Personal garage free of projects. (Supercab and long bed dont fit in just any garage.

Thanks for post at least someone else had/has the problem.

Ford Truck Articles