Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Adhesive Auto Body Repair, Does it Work?

Has anyone used the auto body glue repair kits. From what is said on the internet the patchs are bonded with structural adhesive, and flush-riveted. If this works Great, but how do you get it smoothed out with out a lot of bondo?

tinman52

Tin bender
There are some super strong panel glues made nowadays. How long they will stay glued is not really known. I have used them a little and am pretty impressed with their strength. To use it for patch panels you would need to overlap it quite a bit or use a panel flanger (sp?) that makes a step down lip for a level joint. Unfortunately the flange-ing tool doesn't work very well on curved panels, like cab corners etc.
What are you trying to attach? Why not just weld it?

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
There are some super strong panel glues made nowadays. How long they will stay glued is not really known. I have used them a little and am pretty impressed with their strength. To use it for patch panels you would need to overlap it quite a bit or use a panel flanger (sp?) that makes a step down lip for a level joint. Unfortunately the flange-ing tool doesn't work very well on curved panels, like cab corners etc.
What are you trying to attach? Why not just weld it?

smilieIagree
I use the flanger and it requires little to no filler when you do it correct. I have seen a glued panel hold after a collision.

The problem is I can't weld or find someone that will do it. So the glue idea sound like something I could try myself. The body areas are rockers, lower door pillar below the hing, lower door outer corner about 2"x4",and lower box just above the running board. At some point the rear cab mounts have to be replaced but that I think should be welded.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts