Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Whistles when wet, driving me up a wall

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Pretty sure the issue is the belt getting wet and causing the noise. I checked all pipes, fillers, etc. and no leaks. We've been getting a ton of rain these past few weeks and the whistle is so dang loud I'm ready to put a 12 gauge round through the engine block. :headbang:

Any solutions?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Belts squeal, they don't whistle.

But if it's a belt noise...well, your solution would be to replace the belt. Or maybe the tensioner. I'd start with the belt.

*On edit- Dad had a car that'd get a wicked belt squeal when it got wet. Ended up being the P/S pump leaking just a little- add some splashed up water and it'd squeal like a stuck pig. Is anything leaking?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Whistles to me usually stem from window seals...or the deterioration of. I've never known it to be brought on by rain though.

460Trucker

You are correct, it is more like a squeal. Whistle was the closest thing I could come to.
It is definitley coming from the engine compartment and it gets worse as I accelerate.

Is the power steering pump located behind the belt, or is that something else?

I suggest the problem is caused by a leaky vacuum line and the Auto transmission vacuum line usually fails because of where it is located.

If all your vacuum lines are old, replace them.

460Trucker

I listened and now I am confident it is coming from one of the belts. The noise was so loud today I could hear it through closed windows and loud music. The belts are in good shape, no tears or wear of any kind. Should I try tightening them? Since I have never done that before, how would I go about tightening them? Are there special tools?

Thanks for the input so far everyone. Very much appreciated.

If you want to check the belts Mike sprinkle some talcum powder (poor mans french chalk) over the belts before you start it up - if the squeal goes away then its belt related if not then you'll need to dig a little further ..... check the power steering fluid level as well but that noise is more like a low pitched whine.
Your truck should have an auto tensioner on the serpentine belt and it will look like an alloy round housing with a legg coming off it and a pulley on the end of the leg .... on the housing are a series of marks that will tell you if the tensioner is out of it's adjusting range - if it is then it needs replacing.
Just going on what you are describing i'd say one of the bearings is going on an ancillary such as your alternator etc and the way to check for that is to remove the serpentine belt (make sure you keep a record of the belt routing) and spin all the ancillarys over by hand - if it turns over nice and smoothly and doesn't have any "rough" patches while you are turning it it is most likely ok ...... dont forget to check the idler pulleys as well Mike.
You'll know as soon as you find the faulty ancillary bearing as it won't spin , feel as nicely as the other one's.

When you get a little older and start to lose your hearing and the tinitas starts, it won't matter if your belt squeals.smilietease

Until it breaks

:hehehm: :hehehm: I had to laugh at that Mark as it reminded me of installing a big bad a** stereo and some subbies so those aggravating funny little noises go away.

460Trucker

460Trucker

If you want to check the belts Mike sprinkle some talcum powder (poor mans french chalk) over the belts before you start it up - if the squeal goes away then its belt related if not then you'll need to dig a little further ..... check the power steering fluid level as well but that noise is more like a low pitched whine.
Your truck should have an auto tensioner on the serpentine belt and it will look like an alloy round housing with a legg coming off it and a pulley on the end of the leg .... on the housing are a series of marks that will tell you if the tensioner is out of it's adjusting range - if it is then it needs replacing.
Just going on what you are describing i'd say one of the bearings is going on an ancillary such as your alternator etc and the way to check for that is to remove the serpentine belt (make sure you keep a record of the belt routing) and spin all the ancillarys over by hand - if it turns over nice and smoothly and doesn't have any "rough" patches while you are turning it it is most likely ok ...... dont forget to check the idler pulleys as well Mike.
You'll know as soon as you find the faulty ancillary bearing as it won't spin , feel as nicely as the other one's.

Outstanding. Great info here. Thanks Mark!

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Could possibly be a bearing, would be my guess anyway. They make funny noises just before they give up.

:hehehm: :hehehm: I had to laugh at that Mark as it reminded me of installing a big bad a** stereo and some subbies so those aggravating funny little noises go away.

OR, if you install two 12" Fosgates and a 1000W class D amp, it then causes those squeaks and rattles...

460Trucker

OR, if you install two 12" Fosgates and a 1000W class D amp, it then causes those squeaks and rattles...

Oh my! :drop:

That's a lot of bass!

460Trucker

Post up a sound clip when you get it, that sounds sick!

he may be hearing the infamous ford plastic steering pump and threw us off by stating it was a whistle he heard

big difference between a whistle and a squeal :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts