Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Opinions to help me decide

Hey everyone,
So this is my first post, looking forward to spending hours scrolling through the posts to keep my addiction going strong. I can't wait to get a truck, of course its going to be a Ford, however I do not know which one to truly get. The top choice would be a '12 F250 diesel, however the Raptor SVT and F150 with that ecoboost are very appealing as well. My thing is though, getting these might be a little overkill. I am not going to be towing much, the most is a small boat or tossing in some wood. It would be more for short distance traveling to work and back, plus getting out of school means the whole funds for future problems that might occur (if anyone knows them) isn't going to really be there. So long story short, help a fellow truck enthusiast out in deciding the best option for my situation, so my obsession doesn't break my bank account. Thanks!

greetings MrGIN, welcome to FTF... so quite the conundrum. Those are nice vehicles you are considering, probably cost you at least $30,000 to $50,000, are you just getting out of college? Don't forget the cost of insurance and registration. My advice would be to find a nice used F150, short bed extra cab 4x4. Tons of 'em out there, great trucks, can do just about eveything short of hauling a freight train. Not terrible fuel mileage, either and from there you figure out what your dream truck will be, and who wants to get their dream trcuk anyway, lol, wouldn't have anything to dream about then!
My second choice would be a Ranger, slightly less money, and you can get one with a manual. Good luck, let us know whatcha end up with.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
Welcome to the site.

There are several different ways you could go and all really depend on what kind of payment you would be comfortable with.

I have an 10 F-150 STX and I'm very happy with it. It has all the same features of an XLT except for carpet on the floor. I've hauled furniture, appliances, etc. and never had any problems. I use it much the same way you describe you would use a truck. I can get 19 mpg's on a regular basis.

Yes, mpg is definitely the biggest factor in the decision process. The '12 f250 diesel with its new engine has been said to get up to 22mpg depending on the ratio (this is from me scouring the Internet, so who knows how much truth there is). I won't lie either, lifting it would be something I would definitely look into, just because I like the aesthetic look of a lifted truck. But F150 definitely seems to be a consensus eh.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I think if I were considering a 250, I'd just jump to the 350. Given what you said though, I would say the top choice would be a well equipped Ecoboost 150.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts