Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Swap a carb onto an EFI 5.0?

tinman52

Tin bender
My goal here is to put a newer 5.0 in an older truck and ditch all of the computer junk. I found an '88 F250 donor truck and was wondering how difficult it would be to swap a carb for the efi....is it as simple as swapping manifolds? Will any 289-302 manifold fit? then I would need a different distributor I suppose....(snowball effect here, LOL)
Would I need to run an electric fuel pump or is the mech fuel pump mount still there? Will use a manual trans, so no shifting/ kick down issues.....
Any other issues to consider?
Thanks!

Fellro

Staff member
The intakes swap, but the pump eccentric generally is not, so unless you want to take the front of the engine apart, you will have to run an electric. If you are ditching the computer controlled equipment, EVERYTHING computer controlled will have issues and have to be changed or controlled in a different method. Which trans does it have?

tinman52

Tin bender
I went to look at that truck today......it would make an OK donor, but it has the Mazda 5 speed (m5r2?) I thought that was a 1/2 ton pickup trans?
I want the ZF....so will keep looking.

Fellro

Staff member
Some 250's did, have one that was mistaken to be a ZF, but is the Mazda. Came out of a 250.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
The EFI really is not all that crappy, it just seems daunting to understand it. Good luck finding a donor. The M5OD-R2 had no business ever being in a 1/2 ton and heavier truck IMHO.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts