Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Got a mess here. Please Help!

New to the forum. Greetings all!! I've learned a lot from the threads I've read, but I've got myself in over my head here and I am hoping someone's got a rope.

Bought a 1972 F-100 about two years ago. Thing ran okay, but lots of issues. Rebuilt axle and third member. Rebuilt front end. Decided to pull the Engine and transmission in order to rebuild tranny and tweak engine (leaks like an open faucet).

All the while, I've been thinking I was dealing with a 302. Several parts I've purchased (points, condenser, coil, etc) have been bought under this impression. Having pulled the engine, I've determined that I'm actually dealing with a 351W out of some vehicle purchased in 1978. The casting numbers (above the starter) are D8AE-6015-ED 7. Intake manifold is now removed (along with everything else) and the top of the deck (underneath manifold) is stamped 351 W.

My problem is that I need to know what vehicle this engine actually came out of so that I can purchase a new distributor (with single port rather than dual). I'd also like to removed (delete) the EGR valve and run vaccuum merely to support the distributor and Auto tranny. There are no other power systems to support.

Can anyone help me determine which Ford would have sported a 351W in 1978 with a dual-vaccumed distributor? I've read somewhere on this forum that NO F-100s ever came with 351W's. So, for me to get this engine up to speed, it will be helpful to source parts using the correct 1978 vehicle for the engine.

Thanks! Hope I've explained this well enough.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Welcome to FTF, you are right that no truck came with the 351W...I'm not sure offhand what vehicle came with that style distributor....I can check a couple of books I have tomorrow and hopefully someone else in the know will chime in.

Fellro

Staff member
The vans did though, but that sounds almost like a high altitude application.

I did a bit of googling for you and found this site where someone else was trying to decode thier engine using the number from the back of it - apparently that number is a partial vin which you can trace back to the vehicle that engine was in originally - here is a link to the site http://forums.carcraft.com/70/6551079/car-engine/how-do-i-identify-my-ford-block/

Just going through the first part of the code it tells you the engine was made in 1978.
Personally i'd put one of these pertronix units on it and forget about points forever.

http://www.competitionracingsupply....-Item--PTRD131711--ford_plug_play_131711.html

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Do you have a number from the distributor right now?...I have a book that might be able to tell what vehicle it came from

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
If it is 1978, would it not be a magnetic pickup?

D8AE-6015-ED 7

It was first DESIGNED for a 1978 Large Ford Car Like a LTD II

the engineering suffix ED means it was cast for about a 1980 E-series or car
The 7 means nothing to me

The ED means the engine had about 8 design changes from Original (suffix of A or B)

You need to get the CAST DATE characters to get closer

IE: Look for a casting that looks something like this *0822* which translates to August 22 1980

Give me the 12100 number

BTW, the Distributor from a 351M won't fit the 351W

Last edited:
I did a bit of googling for you and found this site where someone else was trying to decode thier engine using the number from the back of it - apparently that number is a partial vin which you can trace back to the vehicle that engine was in originally - here is a link to the site http://forums.carcraft.com/70/6551079/car-engine/how-do-i-identify-my-ford-block/

Just going through the first part of the code it tells you the engine was made in 1978.
]

Sorry Wrong

There is a BIG difference between Engineering numbers and Date castings (which tell you the date of cast)

Thanks fellows.

DNFXDLI: I don't have the dizzy number but I'll get it for you tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Mil1ion: Do I have 351W or 351M? Can you tell from the casting numbers you already have? Additionally, I'll roll the engine over tomorrow and look for casting dates. At the moment, I have the following numbers directly below the block number (previously provided): 8H51. What is the 12100 number?

I've no doubt that electronic ignition would be the way to go. Problem is that I'm already way over budget and simply cannot aford what appears to be about a $250 conversion. Am I wrong about that?

Thanks guys.. I really appreciate your assistance. I'll get back with some numbers as soon as I have them.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm pretty sure that if it is as late as you say that points did not exist....when you post up the numbers of the distributor, I will see if there is anything in the book I have.

Thanks fellows.

Mil1ion: Do I have 351W or 351M? Can you tell from the casting numbers you already have? Additionally, I'll roll the engine over tomorrow and look for casting dates. At the moment, I have the following numbers directly below the block number (previously provided): 8H51. What is the 12100 number?

How many valve cover bolts on the heads ?

8 = 351M

Dry Intake = 351M Tstat housing attaches to block

Wet intake = 351W Tstat housing attaches to Intake

The 12101 number is on the distributor housing and/or tag

I am leaning toward a 1978 351M since they de-stroked the 400 but since the 351M came out in 1977 I can't see it having a a 1978 engineering number and further more it is a high emissions control block due to the suffix

8H51 ? are you sure it the 5 isn't a 0,3,
if a zero then it was cast on Aug 01 1978

Last edited:
Thanks for the continued interest and forgive me for being so late in getting these numbers back to you:

Mil1ion: You are right, I had the 5 wrong in the date numbers. The correct 4-digit code is 8H21 (that's what I get for reading upside-down).

I have the following numbers for the distributor: Motorcraft 12127

Additionally, there are ten (10) bolts holding the heads on, not eight (8).

Thanks again. Let me know what you find!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Are there any letters behind that 12xxx number?

I need the suffix after 12127
Plus the numbers before it.

Not the head.. The valve covers bolts

DOAF 12131 A <---that's from the dist. shaft But, it's possible that the "F" is actually an "E"...just worn. And there are 6 valve cover bolts.

Last edited:
I need the number from the tag or from the housing to give you the actual Distributor number.

That shaft looks like it fits the 400 and 351M

You still haven't answered what I have asked of you.

This truck has been "handled" by too many people in between. There are NO tags. When you say you need the number from the housing, which housing are you talking about? Additionally, the thermostat housing attaches to the intake manifold on this engine.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Wouldnt d0 indicate 1970?....i looked in my book and couldnt find that exact number....i will look again tomorrow more closely

There should be a number stamped into the housing on the top near weher the cap mates

ie: D8AF-12127-AB

C2AF-12127-A_03.jpg

C3OF-12127-E_03.jpg

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts