Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Best stuff to clean undercarriage?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
So, now that the Bronc is back at 100% mechanical condition, I want to get it prepped for undercoating and was wondering what you guys used for over the counter stuff (like at Walmart or whatever) to clean some of the oils underneath.....

The only real crap that needs cleaning underneath anywhere came from the tranny when the seals broke.

But would like to get it cleaned up all around for dirt, old oil, whatnot.

Thanks,

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I use dawn dish washing detergent. Mix it with hot water, and put it in a squirt bottle. Spray everything well, then let it sit for about an hour.

Then I use my power washer with the white nozzle. Wear rain gear, and a face shield.

Usually after the 2nd treatment, it's good enough to prep.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Purple power degreaser at full strength with an aggressive pressure washer tip.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I use dawn dish washing detergent. Mix it with hot water, and put it in a squirt bottle. Spray everything well, then let it sit for about an hour.

Then I use my power washer with the white nozzle. Wear rain gear, and a face shield.

Usually after the 2nd treatment, it's good enough to prep.

Cool, that's a good idea.

Purple power degreaser at full strength with an aggressive pressure washer tip.

Do they sell Purple Power at walmart or VIP?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Well, I have the pressure washer, so that's a plus.....now I need to decide what to use. Dawn and oven cleaner seem like a cheap solution, but anything Austin recommends ranks high on my list, so I'll see how much Purple Power is and Randy, where do you get Galley grill cleaner, I checked Walmart.com and couldn't find it.

I'd be careful with the oven cleaner. People use it to take off the anodizing on aluminum. If it's a thick build up, see if there's a rental place that has a hot water presure washer. Otherwise the purple cleaner works good.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I'd be careful with the oven cleaner. People use it to take off the anodizing on aluminum. If it's a thick build up, see if there's a rental place that has a hot water presure washer. Otherwise the purple cleaner works good.

Good point Mark, thanks!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Quick question.....I'm going to attempt to pressure wash AND undercoat the Bronco this next week hopefully...I'm running out of weather time up here in Maine:

I think I need to cover the fuel filter, which runs along the frame rails I believe, but is there anything else I need to do before I pressure wash, then spray this:

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-rubberized-undercoating.html

It has some decent reviews.

I thought I'd try to save a few bucks and do it myself. I bought 7 cans for about $150. One review said he did 2 vehicles in 9 cans, so this should be plenty.

I do plan on keeping the bronco for many, many years, and I think this will be more than enough for rust prevention and to keep me going for the next 20 years or so. Hopefully.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
p966_1.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts