Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0L - Oil Viscosity Chart

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
The image below is from the 2008 diesel supplement showing oil viscosities.

In 2008, the 6.0L is still used in the Econoline vans while the trucks use the new 6.4L motor.

What is interesting, is that the use of synthetic motor oil weights/viscosities is now being shown by Ford in the manual.

What is interesting is that they show the use of 5W-40 (only comes a synthetic oil) is good below 30F, but in the 6.4L it can be used anytime. The interesting part is that the 6.0L and 6.4L motors are basically the same block with just the 6.4L being bored out more, an extra turbo and other stuff.

The oil companies all claim that the use of synthetic 5W-40 can be used year-round and should be rated with the CI4+ rating (at this time the new CJ4 spec is not available in a synthetic.

I am glad to see that Ford is finally putting into print the use of synthetic oils (Int'l already did earlier).

The use of 5W-40 synthetic allows for better cold starts and yet protects like a 40 weight when at operating temps. I picked up .5 - 1 mpg upon switching to 5W-40 synthetic oil and all Blackstone oil reports show great wear and great protection.

Personally, I feel that if Ford allows the use of 5W-40 synthetic at all temps in the 6.4L motors, it surely can or does protect the 6.0L motor just as well.

Attachments

• 6.0L - Diesel Supplement (oil).jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts