Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Looking for a gastank to fit below bed

does anyone know a gas tank that will fit between the frame rails at rear of the bed? Just a steel one nothing fancy or 400 bucks.

I saw a 64-68 mustang tank seems like it might fit. what have you used?

I've seem people use the Mustang tank and it appears to fit between the rails. But it does require relocating the rear crossmember that spans the two rear spring hangers. It's not a mod I like, but it's been done a lot, right or wrong, good or bad.

tinman52

Tin bender
The mustang tank also puts your gas filler inside the bed.......

Seems I have seen a Blazer K5 tank used as well, it may have a side filler.

I'll add my 2c here and you all can take it for what it's worth. John's mod works for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, he's running a 4 link rear and has done away with the leaf springs. That eliminates the need for the rear crossmember that supports the spring hangers in the rear. There's no suspension support necessary aft of the axle so one can run a tank back there without chassis concern. If running leaf springs, that crossmember is there for a purpose and I've never cared for the idea of removing it or even relocating it back where it doesn't do the job intended. I may be overthinking this, but it's mho since every parallel leaf spring chassis manufacturer I'm aware of seems to believe that crossmember needs to be there.

The next thing is the framework he built to support the tank. The Mustang tank in its stock configuration sits in a solid box in the trunk that does not twist and flex like a C-channel truck chassis. That kind of flexing on a gas tank not designed for that kind of movement will eventually rupture the seam. It's also held in place in the Mustang's trunk by about a dozen and a half screws which helps maintain its rigidity and become an integral part of the floor pan. It needs more support than most guys I've seen who do this install give it.

Ford had a similar design in their cars and trucks back in the 30's, with the tank at the rear between the frame rails. It had 3 mounting points in a triangular fashion, one on one side, and two on the other. The bolts were spring loaded, just like the radiator support is under the front end, so the frame flexing wouldn't tear the tank apart and allow for some 'give.' If anyone is considering using a Mustang tank in this manner, I would recommend giving this serious consideration.

Last edited:
Hey Wayne, how you doing? :wavey:

When I thought about posting this I checked my picture file and yep, they where all lost in my last hard drive crash, so I forgot about it. Today I took a look on Google images and in the first six, two where mine from another life, go figure?

The first two pictures are from my build and as you can see I had to move to rear support forward a bit,…. but because I had to move my spring shackles back (mustang springs) to almost the rear cross-member the support would not have helped much anyway (its pretty flimsy). I also added an extra cross-member to attach the shocks to and a bit of a frame under the tank brackets with almost all of the twenty bolts used.

The third pix are off Google and he mounted it on top of the frame rails?

So up and until the tank pisses on my foot (and I’ll be the first to tell you) I am going to call horse feathers on the seam splitting theory. I HOPE ! :wasntme:

I sure don’t miss the weekly frame transplant posts. :) Ray.

Gastank2.jpg
Gastank.jpg
Gastank3.jpg

Here is the gas tank peaking out from under its butt, I am thinking that a patina rod might not require a pan / cover, just some flat black ? :confused:

tailgate2012.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts