Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2010 Escape Question...

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
My soon to be wife has a 2010 Escape XLT, 2.5L, automatic, and im wondering if it would handle a 15 ft boat with a 75hp evinrude (guessing right around 12 or 1300lbs), i would guess it would be fine but just wondering, when we go camping we would like to take it but she cant drive my Colorado (she refuses to learn how to drive a stick), and theres no way im letting her pull the camper :)

Opinions?

Also...where can i get a hitch for it and is there a plug in harness available?

welcome FTF...
hopefully you will get some more/better answers, but here is my $.2:
Uhaul can install hitches, you can price 'em out online, you might even be able to intstall the hitch yourself. Not sure about wiring...
But on the negative side, my brother has a 2002 Escape with the v6, he was carrying 500#'s of tools in the back and wrecked the rear axle... not sure exactly what was the problem... might've had something to do with rust from roadsalt?

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Im guessing the tounge load on that boat is about 100# or so...i can lift it by hand no problem...i guess im mostly worried about the trans...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Ok....i think it should handle it just fine....i mean, my dad used to pull it back in the day with a pinto...

I cant imagine its over 1500lbs....and even with a 1500 lb "max" capacity itll pry handle closer to 2500 or so before you really need to worry...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You are talking about almost doubling the maximum rating. Ford lists these ratings for a reason, whether a person follows those ratings is up to them, but if someting breaks or fails then it is not the manufacturers responsibilty.

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
No i was just saying...the boat may weigh 1300lbs :)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
No i was just saying...the boat may weigh 1300lbs :)

Gotcha..then I would think that you are within the spec listed.
You might just want to weigh it though, I went on a quadding trip last year with a buddy and we used his trailer.
I asked him a couple of times if he had checked his tire pressures as I thought they both looked a bit loaded, he told me they were at 45, which was 5psi less than max and he figured the trailer wasn't at the 3500lb it was rated for.

Guess what?...when we weighed it he was bang on 3500lbs, a lot more than both of us would have guessed.

Ford Truck Articles