Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Will i benefit

So i have a 1990 f250 with efi, i currently have a k&n cold air intake cut off cats and a really short pipe into a magnafliw muffer it only goes about a foot under the bed. Its a single 3 inch pipe into the muffler. Im lookin for more permormance and i keeo hearing about bells or horns inside the air tubes and to cut these out is it worth it. My other question is my uncle swears by throttle bidy spacers and had got me one fir a gift, but yet to put it in. Are either of these going to do me any good, or just a waste of time.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Hi, well first, anytime you can make an engine breath better is a good thing, so most people will do an intake swap and exhaust upgrade, but be careful what you do for both of these upgrades or you could reduce performance! Remember, the colder the air charge the better, so just because you have a CAD, it may not perform as well as stock since the stock setup has an airhorn which draws the air from outside and not in the engine bay. As for the exhaust, 2 1/4" diameter pipe is the best for all around gains for a Daily Driver, you do not want to lose to much back pressure which will hurt your low end torque. I'm guessing you are not to concerned with mileage, because when you want more horsepower, it's hard to keep your foot off the gas!

Last edited:
Thanks for the response amkatt, u know when i got the air intake i didnt think much about the temp of the air goin in. I figured with the size of the filter the engine would be getting a ton of more air, so im kind of thinkin the air intake was a bad thing.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
I'd keep it anyway, they look really nice and the gain or loss would be minimal, but a neat thing about them is it changes the tone of your exhaust. 460, right on!!! wish I had that, the mileage is not much different than my old 351W, but you have huge torque! I'm getting 11mpg

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Its a 460, anytime you step on the throttle it's loosing mpg...

The real issue is the EFI heads, they suck a big one...

Amkatt your right the sound is amazing turning heads every where i go. And talk about torque last year i pulled a dodge dually with a 24 foot goose neck with about six feet of hay maxed out out of a mudd pitt. Talk about ford power!!

primetime

sawmill slave
I`ve cut the restrictors out of the intake on three 460 trucks. The first one was a F-Super Duty wrecker with a 5-speed. The owner claimed it struggle to tow a car in fifth. After, it didn`t struggle as much. The next one was a truck a buddy had just purchased. The last one is the engine I just put in my truck. Sorry, no before observations on these two. You`ll find them on the plastic piece in the middle of the intake tubes that the valve cover breather hose hooks to.

I`ve never tried spacers so I don`t know, but every engine is different and some respond well in tests.

A set of headers would be a worthwhile investment. And while on the topic of exhaust, the idea that you want to maintain restriction is wrong. It`s velocity that is important. If you wanted a restrictive exhaust, we wouldn`t want things like headers, mandrel bends, and dual exhaust, would we?

And here`s some reading you might enjoy. http://performanceunlimited.com/projectmpg/results.html

Hey thanks for the reply primetime, that artical was great. Starting to regret throwing away my stock air box. When i bought the truck 3 years ago i did a complete tune up all fluids, belts, plugs and wires but nothong with the distributer maybe that would be a wise first step. Is there any ignition products anybody could recommend ive always liked msd, but i know theres other companies out im willing to hear any advice or experences anybody wants to share. Also if i should do comete distributer or just cap and rotor. Thanks everybody for the help.

primetime

sawmill slave
Glad you enjoyed the article. Air boxes are the same between all the efi engines, so if you decide you want to go the same route they did another one won`t be hard to find. 460 and 300 cu in engines used a different snorkel though. They are supposed to flow better according to some because They take air from the grill instead of up by the hood, but I`ve had other people say there is no difference. I kept my 351 snorkel just for the simple fact that mine is a plow truck and a lot of snow finds it`s way into the grill. Of course, plenty of others have plowed with these trucks and been fine, but I have bad luck so why tempt the gods?

As for the distributor, if it`s working fine I wouldn`t mess with it beyond a quality cap and rotor with brass terminals. I`ve always had good luck with MSD, that`s what I have on mine.

hey thanks again for all the info primetime its greatly appreciated. i was goin to mention that is was thinkin bout puttin headers doug thouralys triple y to be specific. but id rather get my truck a lil higher off the ground first.

So i got the restrictors cut out this weekend and did the distributer cap and rotor this weekend. Oh and a ignition coil all msd, i already have the msd 8.5mm wires, so lets see what happens. While i was doing this i noticed the rod that the rotor goes on top of is rusted is this bad?? Im just waitin for the rtv on my thermastat to cure before i take it for a test drive, last year when i did the thermastat i drove it that same day and had a leak eversince im hoping letting it cure right will fix this problem.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts