Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

lets try the new guys!

blacksnapon

Staff member
You have an 04 f150 with a 4.6. The complaint is a tapping noise on the right side. Technician a says a cheap oil filter is the cause. technician b says wrong weight oil is the cause. Who's right? Technician a----Technician b---- neither------both. If you were paying attention, somewhat of the answer is in the archives.answer will come in a private message.

Last edited:
Note to the new folks:
Blacksnapon is a Ford mastertech that is one of the most knowledgable and helpful techs you'll find on the net anywhere. He likes to put these quizes up to put everyones brain in a knot. Guess away guys...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I'm going to say that it could be either one. If you're using a cheap filter that is restricting flow then you're not getting enough oil to where it needs to be. If you're using the wrong weight you could be using an oil that is too viscous for the engine and it not properly lubricating the components.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I have to say We have 10 Modulars at work and They go to Dealler for work . So I got nada

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
You have an 04 f150 with a 4.6. The complaint is a tapping noise on the right side. Technician a says a cheap oil filter is the cause. technician b says wrong weight oil is the cause. Who's right? Technician a----Technician b---- neither------both. If you were paying attention, somewhat of the answer is in the archives.answer will come in a private message.

Im gonna guess all of the above. We did have one filter that killed a 4.6 (in a van of course).. Think theres even a tsb or ssm on it.. Oh wait im not new probably shouldn't of answered!

Sounds like an ASE test question.

A multiple choice question...tech 1, tech 2, both, neither.

Not too many new comers are that familiar with modular / EEC-V rigs that I know of. Without knowing how the oil flows in the motor it's tough to say what would cause the noise on the right side and if oiling could cause that. But, I have never heard of an lack of oiling sound (tick, tick) coming from a distinct location, that seems to come from all the hydraulic lifters.

I will say neither.

Michigan
AAAA I hated those Tec A and Tec B Questions...

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
im going to guess a cheap filter with a bad or missing anti drain back valve, or an oil filter not approved by motorcraft.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
im going to guess technician A and say that there is an oil filter that is not approved by motorcraft and/or has a broken/missing anti drainback valve.

Ford Truck Articles