Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I sure wish Doug had done the tire chains up more often!

I’m building a 51 f1 as a patina rod that was originally owned by a old timer from here named Doug and the rear fenders are beat to crap. I have to patch them, especially where they attach to the box, or they will fall off. The running boards are also very well ventilated, but at this time it is my intention to leave them in their patina grandeur.

I scored a Ford script tailgate that has gorgeous Texas rust and desert sand blasted faded paint but with four or so boltholes (reflectors).

I know that this is a completely subjective subject and it’s mine to do what I want and it’s not very significant but I would like your opinion, if you where building a faded paint / rust truck would you weld up the tailgate holes and fake distress that area …………or leave the holes?

Sorry for a long story about nothing.
:)

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I'd leave the holes as they are.

If I were ever to build a truck in that style the body and patina would be all out weathered, but the wheels and trim would be in top condition providing a real contrast.

I'd leave the holes as they are. If I were ever to build a truck in that style the body and patina would be all out weathered, but the wheels and trim would be in top condition providing a real contrast.

Thanks, Austin, I think we are both on the same page. This was a couple of months ago.

1951f1wheels.jpg

primetime

sawmill slave
What you guys said. You can`t fake patina, and in my opinion it`s a waste time and money to try. Digging the big block.

I agree, keep the holes. You might even look for some rusty and faded reflectors that fit the holes to complete the package. Or maybe even a set of the ancient marble kind. Those are often seen with broken and/or missing marbles, which would be cool in your case.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts