Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Build Thread "Confused"

I am on a journey to do a build of my newly acquired 1962 Unibody. Found the truck on CL and picked it up for $750 from a family that just did not need it anymore. The truck is in excellent shape for its years.

What I liked about the truck was that it was almost 100% original, except for the tires and rims. Has the original 292 motor and Holley carb with oil bath air cleaner, interior untouched and the original paint with a little patina.

1.jpg

2.jpg

After making the deal with P.O. I worked on the truck for a couple hours seeing if I could get it to run so I could drive it home, which is about 8 miles down road.
Got it to fire up a run at a good idle. Went home to return the following day with my son so he could follow me home incase there was a problem.

Returned on Sunday the truck fired right up and I headed down the road, got about two blocks and it stop running. Popped open the hood and noticed the fuel filter was a dark brown to black color fuel. I was scratching my head because I completely drained he tank the day before and put in 5 gallons of gas and some seaform.

Ended up towing the truck back to the PO home and parking it out front of the house. Removed the tank and took home to see what was up with it. After removing the gas and letting it evaporate out the remaining gas I took a look inside to find a very clean tank, however right below the pickup tube was a black tar residue.

I have had this problem before with older Chevy trucks I have purchased and I knew how to fix the problem...score!

I put about 4 cups of laquer thinner in the tank and let it sit for about 30 minutes. The laquer breaks down the tar residue, rinse and repeat a few times and I was good to go.

Went back a few days later installed the tank and fresh gas , and replaced the fuel filter. Got it started but now another small problem, the card was leaking onto the manifold so I shut it down and decided that i would tow instead of taking a chance on a fire happening.

Headed over to Harbour Freight and picked up a towbar for $60, took it home and added heavy duty safety chains.

Return early Saturday morning since i new the roads would have less traffic, took my generator , drill and tools with me so I could mount the brakets to the bumper. Took about ten minutes to get it rigged up and I was on my way.

It is now back at my shop and ready to go to work. herwe are a few pictures of the truck.

Here is a actual picture of stance
REG1.jpg

Here is a photoshop of the stance

REG2.jpg

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I love it with the factory Gen9 wheels on it. If those wheels are in as good a shape as they look and you end up selling them, you can get some good coin for them from the right buyer. What are your plans for the truck?

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
I'm working on a '50 F4. Cleaned the tank and blew out the lines. Dumped some new gas into the tank and let it sit for a day or two then opened the valve and let it run out - it was green!

The alcohol in the new stuff they call gas is a pretty good solvent for old varnish.

I love your truck - you've got a tailgate - I'm jealous. (I have a '62 Uni 223 six)

Welcome! Good to have you around here - keep us posted on your progress - and make sure you put an inline filter on your gas line to keep crud out of the carb.

Plans for the truck are heading in the direction to keep it looking stock, if i can find a front passenger fender to match the color then i would most likely leave in a patina state. Possible do a light wet sanding and put a coat of clear over it to preserve look.

I will be lowering the truck , not laying frame but enough to make a difference. I have been researching possibly going the "Crown Vic" swap, using the front and rear suspension, and possibly the motor will i do a rebuild of the 292 and clean up the engine area under the hood.

For now I will rebuild the carb and re-install the gas tank and drive it while I collect and fabricate a few items for the build.

I am in the process of finishing up a 72 Chevy, should be a few more weeks on that one and then I will put the unibody in the shop for the build. I would like to finish off the Unibody with a few items that will not only make it safer to drive but also make it reliable as it should be.

Here are few items that I will be working toward:
  • Fabricate new front cab mounts - existing are starting to rust
  • Fabricate two small patch areas needed for the floor board
  • Install a gas tank under the bed in the rear of the frame
  • Cut a relief line in the back side of the tailgate and do a little metal magic to get rid of the bow
  • Scuff up the inside of the bed and shoot it with Raptor liner
  • Scuff up interior floor and shoot with Raptor liner, then a layer of heat sheild and install a new rubber matt
  • Remove passenger front fender and replace or patch in the top corner that is crunched
  • Straighten the front bumper - has a slight twist in it but doable
  • Possible ash try delete and fabricate in a vintage air contol console for air conditioning
  • Add disc brakes to the front & proportional valve
  • Check the wiring if it is not adequate then I will install a new harness "EZ Wiring" kit
  • Remove mirrors and build a custom mount to go with the period correct mirrors
  • Hit my big brother up for a new seat cover, he is the master with stiching and is a big FORD collector
  • There are a few more small items that i will be adding to the list

For the mechanical side :
  • Once I find a resonable motor that I can put in and drive with I will rebuild the 292 and give it some new life....it belongs in the truck
  • Do something like the "Crown Vic" front end
  • I will be adding to the list as I go

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Sounds like you have solid plans so far. I really like the possible stance.

How do you tell if a Holley carb is a 350 cfm or a 500 cfm. The carb I have is a Holley model 2300 C2TE-9510 M , I know it is period for correct for the truck and for the 292 motor. Trying to figure out the cfm...smilieFordlogo

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I'd definitely go with the CV suspension swap. The handling on those cars is phenominal and should make a huge difference in the comfort and driveability of the truck. Stay away from 03 donor parts, the rack and pinion is junk.

Well got the carb rebuilt , gas tank , fuel line and new fuel pump installed. Fired it up and it was bubbling gas up through the vent tube. Turned it off and readjusted the on the top of the bowl the jet adjustment, two 1/4 turns and re-tighten down the lock screw. Fired it it up again and it ran perfect. Made a small adjustment to to turn the idle down and it really sound good and was blowing no smoke at all.

Now that is out of the way i will do some basic maintenance and check all brakes for safety....then drive it!

Drove the truck to the local pick-a-part...scored a steering wheel for $8. I guess I will restore the wheel and put it in the unibody ...gotta show the truck a little love.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts