Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

new 6.4 owners

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
there are some people complaining about the lack of power from the new 6.4 trucks. these trucks are coming from the factory with a "shipping mode" installed. these trucks have to be driven to unleash the beast. i got a print today in class that states that the truck needs to be run at least 10 minutes constantly or the preferred method, drove for 10 minutes without dropping below 35mph. there is also a statement about the ambient being above 20 degrees but i dont see how this works everywhere due to the climates.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
wow, so the power is cut down till you literally get 'er warmed up?

Ryan

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Not getting all the power until it's warmedup is a GOOD thing. I don't put the pedal down in mine until she's at least 160*!! Of course, after that you'd better not be in front of me or to close behind either. :D

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
the strategy terminates itself after the first time its meets the criteria. its a pdi issue not the norm for the trucks.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
the strategy terminates itself after the first time its meets the criteria. its a pdi issue not the norm for the trucks.

What is a "PDI" issue you reference above?

Wait... does this stand for "Pre-Delivery-Issue"??

Thanks,

blacksnapon

Staff member
All new vehicles go through a pdi before releasing to customers. "Pre-delivery inspection". Making sure all fluids are full, all pressures are correct, all bells and whistles work, manuals,torque on lug nuts, all parts are there that are supposed to be there.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
All new vehicles go through a pdi before releasing to customers. "Pre-delivery inspection". Making sure all fluids are full, all pressures are correct, all bells and whistles work, manuals,torque on lug nuts, all parts are there that are supposed to be there.

Have no idea who did mine, but I checked it myself before I drove it off the lot... just to makes sure and save time if I found anything.

What is scary, I bet it is some $5.00/hour oil lube guy in the "fast lube area" or the portor that washes the truck. Instead... I would feel better if they paid the diesel tech guy who really knows this truck to do it... but that may be a waste of time for a highly trained mechanic.

However, something about buying the 1st or 2nd most expensive vehicle a dealership can sell.... deserves only the best service and trained inspector!!!

blacksnapon

Staff member
You wouldn't believe how many issues are directly related to poor pdi. Oil too low, loose filters, differentials with no grease, etc. This is not just a Ford problem, seen the same thing at GM and Jeep.

Ford Truck Articles