Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rear main seal

How big of a pain is it to change a rear main seal in a 400?Whats all involved?I know you have to drop the oil pan.But what else?I need to repalce mine badly.Thanks Tony

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Do I need any special tool to put the rear main seal in?What do I need to take off after the pan?I was planning to replace the pan gasket while im at it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Fellro

Staff member
I know on the 75 I had, the frame was such that the pan would come out without having to life the motor. If the frame is clear under the motor, then you can get it wiggled out for the mot part, at worst just lift the motor a little. You will need to take the rear main bearing cap off, as it holds half of the seal, the other half will have to be spun out of the block.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
95-105lb IIRC...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Should I replace the oil pump while I have the pan off?If so should I put a reg of high volumn pump?

Oil pumps are one of those things that they're cheap enough to do while you're in there, so if it's getting up there in age...go for it. There are alot of misconceptions about oil pumps going bad and replacing one will be a miracle fix. The oil pump is the most highly lubricated item on the whole vehicle, chances are if it goes bad, something is wrong up or down stream. If you have oiling problems with a stock engine, an HV oil pump will only be a band aid that will be a short term fix for bearing failure elsewhere.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yessir.........

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts