Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Clean up after waxing...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
It's inevitable to get some wax in or on places you don't want it during a good wax. My question is, what do you guys use or do (afterward or preventatively) to get rid of any wax on textured plastic, little nooks and crannies and the edge of seals??? This problem becomes even more evident the darker the paint. I know there has to be a better way than taking a tooth brush to the plastic and a tooth pick to the nooks and crannies. What says you detailing experts???

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Man, Ben....it's been a while since I used regular wax on my vehicles. In the past, I used what you already mentioned; toothbrushes and such.....but with plastic, a rag and some amor-all or armor-all wipes will get it off with a little elbow grease....I also have a pretty nifty (can buy at walmart for $15) electric brush scrubber (kinda like an oversized toothbrush) that knocks that stuff out very easy.

Now adays, with the waterless car wash technology, I don't use a lot of the traditional detailing methods (wax, soap and water). If there's a decent amount of dirt on the truck, a hose down or quick pressure wash, quick dry, then waterless car wash (Fukken has ZERO overspray, which is awesome!) and I'm golden! Even on chrome and plastic, works good.

But, I'm curious to see what our detailing pros have to say also......if and when I ever decide to dust the old buffer off!

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I don't wax very often (every 3 months), so I'm not terribly inconvenienced by prep work. If the vehicle has a lot of plastic I'll usually tape it off. Also using a liquid wax can help.

But, in the end, it usually comes down to an assortment of toothbrush like brushes that get into all of the corners.

It may also help to keep a moist rag to clean up any mistakes as they happen, making removal much easier.

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
It may also help to keep a moist rag to clean up any mistakes as they happen, making removal much easier.

Agreed, always good to clean up early.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts