Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Bronco misses

I have a 1988 bronco with a 302 motor. It runs good but when it is under a strain, it starts missing and cutting out. The red check engine light comes on but goes out. I changed the plugs but it still cuts out. any help? thanks ><> del

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Does it matter if the engine is cold or hot? Go to www.oldfuelinjection.com and read about how to pull codes with the paperclip method. The codes are also listed on that site. The number one thing to remember with every computer controlled vehicle is that just because the CEL (check engine light) isn't on, doesn't mean there aren't codes stored. Sounds like a TFI or coil problem to me but pull codes and we can go from there.

No, it doesn't matter if the engine is hot or cold. It does it the most when we are pulling an incline or just in a strain. I am going to try to pull the codes. I am not very mechanically inclined but I am going to try. thanks ><>del

Without Codes you could chase the problem throwing time and money at it for weeks. There are more than a dozen sensors and actuators that control engine performance and nearly 30 different signal and voltage monitoring connections to the main computer. A Code reader for Ford EEC-IV systems only costs about $20 these days and honestly, if you plan on having the truck for any length of time, you might as well invest in one because they will save you time, effort and money well in excess of the $20 you spend on it.

Now, if that is too complicated, most parts chain stores, (Advance, AutoZone, O'Reilly's, etc) will pull Codes for you. If you have someone pull them for you, get the ACTUAL Codes... as in the two-digit or three-digit NUMBERS. They will often try to tell you, "Oh, the Codes say you need this new part or that new part." DON'T just take their word for it. GET THE NUMBERS! The service is FREE so you can feel ok saying, "Ok thanks. I'm gonna go see what parts I've got at home before I buy anything."

Once you have the Codes (numbers) either because you pulled them with your new reader, or someone pulled them and gave them to you, post them and we can help you troubleshoot the real problem without spending hours, days, weeks, and hundreds of dollars trying to pinpoint the problem.

Ford Truck Articles