Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 E350

blacksnapon

Staff member
I worked on a 665,000 mile 04 econoline today. It is a Department of corrections prisoner transport. It slid off into the ditch, tearing off the oil filter housing (they are on the bottom, on a 6.0 econoline).

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Yeah, its still there. I had to order parts. The oasis wasnt much, a few injectors, and the torqueshift planetary recall.

Just goes to show you how well and how long a properly maintained and driven vehicle will last :)

Gunner

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yeah, that's danged impressive. Even more so for a fleet vehicle- part of my job over the summer was to driving the company van, and I heard and saw a few things that gave me the impression I treated that van a lot better than it was used to.

*Friend and I were at a rest area in Colorado one time, met an guy who hauled RVs around the country for hire, with an '01 F-350 with the 7.3. Finally replaced the original engine at 620k, he said. (We thought we were doin' good, as we'd turned over 300k on the ticker in the truck we were driving earlier that morning, but...)

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
I was reading on MSN today that some guy with a Chev.........CHEV...CHCHCH..........I just can't say it..........well anyway he was about to turn over 1 million miles in his truck..........

After 3 transmissions, 2 Starters, and a host of other repairs........

Gunner

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Just goes to show you how well and how long a properly maintained and driven vehicle will last :)

Gunner
Too true!! I can't wait to see mine turn that!

After it's 50th engine. :)

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
You guys work on 'em, I just looked at Oasis reports. Tell me otherwise- the 6.0's came one of two ways: they were perfect, and caused next to zero grief....... or they were the engine from hell. No middle ground whatsoever.

And no, that million mile Chevy doesn't surprise me any. I really think any domestic pickup could do it with reasonable maintenance and mostly hwy miles. From what we see in Dodge Cummins, that's not even noteworthy.

blacksnapon

Staff member
You guys work on 'em, I just looked at Oasis reports. Tell me otherwise- the 6.0's came one of two ways: they were perfect, and caused next to zero grief....... or they were the engine from hell. No middle ground whatsoever.

And no, that million mile Chevy doesn't surprise me any. I really think any domestic pickup could do it with reasonable maintenance and mostly hwy miles. From what we see in Dodge Cummins, that's not even noteworthy.
The bad part with "the engine from hell" is you can look at the oasis report, and after multiple injector failures, there's no sign of fuel pump replacement, or after egr valve replaced several times, no egr cooler, or oil cooler repairs. You see cac tube and intercooler repairs, and no turbo cleanings. Head gasket repairs, and later doing it again (this time with egr and oil cooler replacements). A lot of these "engines from hell" arent engine related, but dealer related.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
The bad part with "the engine from hell" is you can look at the oasis report, and after multiple injector failures, there's no sign of fuel pump replacement, or after egr valve replaced several times, no egr cooler, or oil cooler repairs. You see cac tube and intercooler repairs, and no turbo cleanings. Head gasket repairs, and later doing it again (this time with egr and oil cooler replacements). A lot of these "engines from hell" arent engine related, but dealer related.

Sadly, that's very true.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
116,000 miles and all is well.

Guess I have a long way to go to get to the numbers posted in the first post... but I'm working on it.

Now, if diesel fuel pricing would be at the same level or less (as it shoulf be) as regular unleaded.... I would be a happy camper!!!

To all the mega oil/fuel companies... here is what I have to say...'biteme'

blacksnapon

Staff member
Got it running today, put 14 quarts in to get it running. Didnt sound happy when it finally started. It smoothed out though.

Ford Truck Articles