Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Help...Removing Steering Arm

David1357

'94 F150 5.0
AGGGgggghhhh....two days trying and I can't get the Pitman arm off either end! I've tried the arm puller, heat, PB Blaster, and a BFH! Any suggestions? It's on a 1994 Lincoln Town Car...4.6...206,000 miles on the odo. I'd appreciate some trick o' the trade as I'm about ready to spit nails!!! :jumping:

X2 to that Randy ..... just tension the puller until its almost at breaking point then do what we all do well with a BFH on the side of the arm and it should spring off.

blacksnapon

Staff member
If you dont need to save the pitman arm, drill 3 or 4 holes in a line across the arm, then use a chisel to create a crack between the holes. The arm usually just drops off then.

David1357

'94 F150 5.0
Thanks, guys...as usual, the solution was all of the above. I also talked with a former NASCAR crew mechanic...his tip: heat one spot of the arm with a torch, rap the puller, and it pops off. I'd removed the gear with the puller attatched, so that, and using a ball peen hammer directily on the spline-side of the arm, worked to get it off.
Now for putting the rebuilt one one...and figuring out how to flush, then bleed the power steering system....do you think it's necessary?

Thanks, guys...as usual, the solution was all of the above. I also talked with a former NASCAR crew mechanic...his tip: heat one spot of the arm with a torch, rap the puller, and it pops off. I'd removed the gear with the puller attatched, so that, and using a ball peen hammer directily on the spline-side of the arm, worked to get it off.
Now for putting the rebuilt one one...and figuring out how to flush, then bleed the power steering system....do you think it's necessary?

For a quick and dirty way of doing it jack up the front of the truck so the wheels are just off the ground then drain the power steering fluid out and connect everything up except the return line ...... top off with fluid then get a mate to hold the return line into a large jug while you turn the wheel from side to side (dont let the pump run dry) - once you've run a couple of litres through the system it will be clean enough.
Reconect the return line and fill with fresh fluid then start the truck and turn the wheel from opposite lock to opposite lock several times - just hold it on full lock for a couple of seconds each time so you bleed the relief valve properly - she should be good to go after that.
Before you refit the new steering box i would suggest that you cover the splines and the arm in an anti sieze compound so that if you ever have to remove it again it won't be such a problem for you.

David1357

'94 F150 5.0
Thanks, Mark. Sounds simple enough... I start by pouring my quart of power steering fluid into two Coke bottles so I know when I've gone thru "a couple of litres", right? :beer:
I hear Fords are difficult to bleed 'cuz the bends of the lines traps air, as well as in the box. What do you think on that?
Perhaps another tip or two on getting the steering coupling onto the gear shaft...it's difficult to line up and I don't want to force it. I've already loosely bolted the box to the frame...perhaps I'll have to wait for a hand to do it proper. I guess the question is: will it slide on easily, or naturally take just a bit of persuassion when it's lined-up properly?
Thanks again...

Ford Truck Articles