Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need 351 refresher!

It's been awhile since I built a motor.:headbang: (years) I actually can not remember the difference between the Windsor and Cleveland. Can someone kick start my aging brain?:hammer: Thanks!

Fellro

Staff member
Age of the vehicle many times will sort it out for you. Clevelands weren't factory installed in the trucks.

primetime

sawmill slave
Clevelands also have 9.2" deck height versus the Windsors 9.5". Cleveland main journals are smaaler to at 2.75". Heads can be swapped from C to W if you change pistons, get a custom intake, and block off a coolant port on the heads and drill a new one. It was a popular swap 25 or 30 years ago before the aftermarket head explosion. Clevelands actually have more in common as far as design with 429/460s than they do small blocks.

Thank you very much! I'm in the planning stages of building a mud truck and might start with a 351 and build it. Just didn't know wich one!

The easiest way to tell the difference is the Windsor has the thermostat housing on the manifold and the Clevo has it on the block

You'll probably find it easier to build a windsor as there are many more of them and much more aftermarket bits

Fellro

Staff member
It all depends what you mean by builder friendly. Cost and availability are much better for the Windsor.

Thats what I thought! It's been 20+ years since I've rebuilt a Ford motor. I got into diesels and now want to take the gasser route. Thanks for your time and help!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts