Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need dash/gauge ideas...

tinman52

Tin bender
Been doing a little clean up of the interior of my '51 COE cab.....
Before I do any painting, I need to decide what to do about the gauges. My funds for this truck are very limited, so are my options...

1. Buy new "big round" gauges....very $$$$
2. smooth the dash and buy a set of 5 autometer or similar
3, retrofit newer gauges into the old housing....I could keep the stock speedo this way.
4.Find a dash panel from another vehicle

Currently I am leaning towards #3 or #4......I should add this truck will be non stock, 12 volt, very "dark side"....

I would really like to find a gauge panel from a late 50's early 60's vehicle that would look right in the truck's utilitarian cab.....

So I need some input from you guys,

Here is a pic of the stock gauges in my F-1 for reference...

blue008.jpg

And a pic of the COE cab for those interested....

DSCN1885.jpg

Personally I like the stock look. My speedo still works but the other gauges do not. I even verified it with a GPS and it's surprisingly accuarate. I did add a temp and oil pressure gauge. I don't like to guess when it comes to those two.

It looks like the COE (nice) has that wacko ugly stainless trim piece that sits at 45 degrees that separates the recessed radio speaker grill area the same as the pickup cab. The reason for asking is I have some pictures of an f1 bus dash and it is flat and attractive.

Most every modified f1 I have seen has the trim piece left because it is a major project to modify because of the recessed portion.

Well not for this idiot, whack and weld, mostly so the Billet dash insert will fit.
(how come tons of aftermarket chrome is allowed at kill billet car shows?)

Dare to be a little different, and I think it looks not bad IM (not so) HO.

Ray.
dashgauges.jpg

tinman52

Tin bender
Ray, your dash looks great! Nice and smooth.........

I'm going for something old timey....yet custom. Kinda hard to explain.....
I guess I need to search for some pics of dashes.

havi

third member
Dakota Digital! Oh, wait.....

My '66 Bronco dash was about as utilitarian as you could get, lol.

tinman52

Tin bender
Havi, no digital.....:hammer:

Below is a pic of a '53 Ford car dash grafted into an F-1.....while not exactly the design I'm after, it is an example of my twisted thought process.
Pic was stolen from the Hamb.....

1757f4f0.jpg

Here's a pic of a 50 Ford car dash. It's a simple design incorporating all the gauges in one pod. It could easily be fitted into the truck dash and look correct. You could put it in front of the driver/steering wheel, or center it in the dash itself and fill in the rest. There's a lot of similar dashes like that one, too.

1950FordCustom.bgDash.jpg

tinman52

Tin bender
Ray, those are some stunning gauges for sure.....I have a feeling they will end up out of my price range tho....

BUCKEYE BOB

Florida Chapter member
If you like that 53 car dash think about this--the 56 ford car dash is nice &
it has the speedometer & 4 gauges in there with the speedometer everything is all in one place in my ho i think that it looks good check it out you have nothing to lose

tinman52

Tin bender
The '56 dash is cool, much better than the '53. I still haven't decided what I'm doing on this truck.....the project has stalled and is sitting outside under a tarp.
I need to get back on it...

tinman52

Tin bender
That pic of the '50 Ford car dash got the wheels turning in my brain (scary)....so I got one from my pal Bill. I really like the simple lines of this dash, and think it will look good in the truck. We shall see....
Currently looking for some modern gauges to swap into the cluster....
Maybe even a better cluster if I can find one cheap.

DSCN0399.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts