Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New F150 Platinum 5.0 or 6.2?

I am ready to pull the trigger on a new F150 Platinum. My only dillema is do I want the 5.0 or 6.2? My commute to work is only a mile so gas mileage isn't a concern. Just wondering if I will see that much of a difference between the two motors.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
This may be just an opinion, but if I was dropping the money on a brand new Platinum edition pickup, there would be no question I'd want the bigger, more powerful motor.

Ryan

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
No replacement for displacement...bigger is better. May be an outdated mentality, but that's how I'd make the decision.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Ummm.... EcoBoost???

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
What do you plan to use the truck for? Any heavy towing or the like?

Any way you can drive the two engine choices back to back before you order?

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I am with the old no replacement for displacement crowd, but I hear great things about the ecoboost and they get 20mpg...

It'd be the 6.2 for me

smilieFordlogo

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I have a 2012 F150 Screw 4x4 with a 5.0 and 3:73 gears - love it! Hot rod power and fantastic gas mileage. NOTE: if you choose the 5.0 your steering will be electronic, and many owners are having problems with the EPAS. If you choose the 6.2 you will not get the EPAS. The steering is hydraulic. The 5.0 is, in my opinion, the best engine in the F150 lineup at no extra cost.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I have a 2012 F150 Screw 4x4 with a 5.0 and 3:73 gears - love it! Hot rod power and fantastic gas mileage. NOTE: if you choose the 5.0 your steering will be electronic, and many owners are having problems with the EPAS. If you choose the 6.2 you will not get the EPAS. The steering is hydraulic. The 5.0 is, in my opinion, the best engine in the F150 lineup at no extra cost.
Welcome to the site, firepower. Sounds like you've got a nice truck.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts