Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

tranny temp gauge; language problem...

Ton van der Sluijs

official Lucas dealer
Good morning everybody:)

I've acquired an Autometer Tranny temp gauge... I do understand the wiring scheme for 90%:headbang:

They say, black; to the neg. ground of the battery, that's simple.
the red one goes to the "contactlock" (sorry, I do not know the American word)
in the steeringcollumn , a connector to the sender is alright with me.. But... they wrote, a white one goes to the "Dash"... I think, a place somewhere in the dashboard, but can some one tell me were in the dashboard? could it be a + point, were is constant electricity like one of the wires of the radio, so that your radio gets power without the key in the contactlock?

best regards Ton van der Sluijs

I would think that the "contactlock" would be a switched power source from the ignition,(key). And the "dash" would be a not switched or always has power source, with fuse.

Ton van der Sluijs

official Lucas dealer
Hi Mark:)
Thanks for your reply. That's right!! I meant the ignitionkey!! I was forgotten that totally. Here we name the ignition key "contactslot" and I uses and very exact translation; "contactlock". You confirmed also the right way to connect one and other.

Best regards Ton

primetime

sawmill slave
The white wire is for the light in the gauge. I hook it to the running lights so that the gauge light comes on when you pull out the light switch. I don`t know how or if you can hook into the dash lights so the gauges dim with them.

And yes, the red wire should hook into a key on ignition source. I generally unhook the connector for the key in ignition/door open alarm. I put a male spade on the wiring for whatever I want to power and plug it into the key chime connector. Solves two problems at once if you know what I mean.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts