Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Interco Narrow S.S.

Guys, I sure like these tires! http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=8

I intend to have a set one day if I have to buy one at a time. I figure if I can buy one a year I will be doing great. I like em! I don't like wide tires so much. Now tire size is limited in these tires. What I see will work for me is maybe the 9/34-16LT ?? Will I need new rims as well? Tires on my truck now are LT235 85 16 and i do have a spare set of steel wheels that are the same size as on the truck now that have no tires on them.

I know these tires don't hold up well on pavement. Or would I want to run them on pavement. But I am the kind of guy that would mount them on cheap stock steel wheels and put them on there when we like hit the snow or dirt/mud when hunting chuckers, grouse, pheasants and the like. I would use them in the foothills or logging roads and such in the mountains when looking for deer/elk and the like.

What think guys? Will they fit my Ford? Would they not look ultra fine under there? Gives me a seizure just thinking about them on the mighty Brutus! :WooHoo: :WooHoo: :WooHoo: :WooHoo: :WooHoo: :WooHoo: :WooHoo:

Giggity

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
They should fit the rims you're using now. 235/85/16 tires call for a 6 - 7.5" rim. The tires you are looking at require a 6.5" rim. Somebody who has used Interco tires might chime in later.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
That is a good looing tire... And the stock rim is prob 16x6.5 so no worries there.

They won't be great on road, but they shouldn't be too bad...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I love swampers...they go on every truck I have. The bias tires, I usually get somewhere around 30k out of them. Keep in mind, big voids like that, actually make it a worse snow tire than say, an all-terrain. Those tires should physically fit, but depending on suspension condition and rim backspacing...you might get some rubbing.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Those are great looking tires, I love a tall skinny tire.

I have 255/85R16 BFG KM2s on my mountaineer, which is roughly a 33x10, pretty close to those.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Really guys? I'm thinking deep snow. 2' 3' foot stuff that had not been traveled on or packed at all. Is this still the case? Or are you talking about snow like on the roads that has been packed? Thanks

Gig

Never run in deep powder, so I dunno...but you still have to find a way to get there, unless you plan on installing a hover feature on your rig...hahaha. That said, I still wouldn't hesitate to throw the swampers on there, you just have to know how your rig is going to act, be a little more aware of what's in front of you and be way more attentive driving. For reference, I've run bald BFG M/T's, bald TSL's and bald Boggers on ice covered highways to and from work, and made the 100 mile round trip unscathed, and I've done the same thing through the mountains back and forth to the gf and home. Honestly, when it comes to tread depth, pattern and design...I don't put much weight in to it...you have a rubber contact patch with the road, learn the characterisitics in different conditions and know what that means you have to do as far as driving style, and you'll be good.

rambling completed

Fellro

Staff member
I prefer a more open tread for digging through the snow, too close and you might as well be running baldies. I actually had to put Geolanders on the wife's POS Caliber as it was such a wimp that once it got stuck, there was no getting out without assistance. I have to be able to get through at minimum 600' of lane, then the country roads, so that wasn't acceptable. The more open tire helped considerably, and did fine on the roads. The car itself just sucked...

I always keep some kind of open lug tire on my trucks. Might not be quite as open as boggers, but it isn't as closed as many all season either. Snow tire lugs are the minimum I run year around on the trucks, and don't care for much less on the cars that get snow or mud driven.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
In snow, you want the voids to pack up with snow, unlike in mud. Once the voids pack up with snow, that snow grips the snow on the ground, and is what gives you traction in winter. Smaller voids and sipes pack up with snow better and give more traction.

Fellro

Staff member
That might be true in packed, but my major concern is generally unpacked... I need it to claw through. With running less traveled roads a lot, I have found the tires need to clear and dig. That is my primary concern, the paved roads are of secondary concern. Even when I lived in South Dakota, that type of concept worked well, the more closed tread was like diving with no tread. Every actual dedicated snow tire I have seen is designed to be able to clear out. May not be big knobbies, but they are better spaced than most all season tires.
Bridgestone Blizzak tires

BlizzakWS70_English.png

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
True, I was wrong for not clarifying between snow and deep powder. I went with the best of both worlds, a siped KM2. :D My Mountaineer has been unstoppable in deep snow, and anything else thrown at it. ;)

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
As far as wear on the TSL's I ran the SSR's on my dually (37 12.50 R16) and they were actually the best tire I found for mileage. I got roughly 45K out of them, and I WASN'T easy on them at all LOL. With 800RWHP its hard to be easy on tires! LMAO

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
As far as wear on the TSL's I ran the SSR's on my dually (37 12.50 R16) and they were actually the best tire I found for mileage. I got roughly 45K out of them, and I WASN'T easy on them at all LOL. With 800RWHP its hard to be easy on tires! LMAO

I've gone through 3 sets of SSR's all have gotten 45k+, the 4th set are sitting on Thunder right now with 35k on them, with another 10-15k to go easy.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I've gone through 3 sets of SSR's all have gotten 45k+, the 4th set are sitting on Thunder right now with 35k on them, with another 10-15k to go easy.

The new Dually I am looking at will definatly get another set of 37" SSR's no questions asked!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts