Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Reprogram for new rear gear?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
So I know there is a speed sensor on the rear differential. I was thinking about swapping out gears to a 3.73 if I can muster up the knowledge and guts to learn how. If I were to put in the 3.73 gears, is there a way to reprogram the computer to make speedometers read correctly? In the same swoop, would there be a way to program the size of the tire also (since it is not stock)?

Ryan

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yes sir. You'll need to recalibrate the [appropriately named] PSOM (programmable speedometer/odometer module). There's a specific procedure which involves pushing the Trip/Mode buttons on your dash in a certain sequence to calibrate it to counter the effects of a non-stock tire size. However, changing your gearing won't effect the speedometer, only a change in tire size will ;)

EDIT: Found the procedure:
http://ford.off-road.com/ford/bigbr...Broncos/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/198381

Hey and what do ya' know, the first paragraph says EXACTLY what I just said. Man I'm smart :)

Last edited:
Yes sir. You'll need to recalibrate the [appropriately named] PSOM (programmable speedometer/odometer module). There's a specific procedure which involves pushing the Trip/Mode buttons on your dash in a certain sequence to calibrate it to counter the effects of a non-stock tire size. However, changing your gearing won't effect the speedometer, only a change in tire size will ;)

EDIT: Found the procedure:
http://ford.off-road.com/ford/bigbr...Broncos/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/198381

Hey and what do ya' know, the first paragraph says EXACTLY what I just said. Man I'm smart :)
:bow: 'hippie'

Ahh the old days, when all ya had to do was put a new speedo drive gear in the tail of the tranny....

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Ahh the old days, when all ya had to do was put a new speedo drive gear in the tail of the tranny....
Lol that wasn't THAT long ago. Pre 93 that was how they did it, before the turned the RABS sensor into a multifunction RABS/VSS.

But cmon, this method is better anyways, you don't have to buy any parts or dissemble anything!

...but you could TELL the guy behind the parts counter what gear ratio you put IN , any tire size changes etc and he'd hand you the solution. No second-guessing.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings

Ahhh the even OLDER days.............when you just drove it and guessed ;)

Gunner

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
I am, and from my understanding, so is Tony. Hey Tony, you cheap and easy too?? 'smiliepig'

Well I'm not EASY, but I CAN be tricked............Ask my wife :D

Gunner

Question was asked and answered; anything after that is fallout!

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
been busy myself... Sorry.

I was just considering the gears as a way to make up for the slightly bigger and heavier tires I put on, plus a little extra kick when I'm putting around town. It's good to know that won't throw off the speedo.

Ryan

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
speaking of speedo gears and stuff, does anybody know where i can get a new speedo gear that will adjust my speedo to compensate the 33" tires i have? i KNOW its off.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts