Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Alt trouble pulsating lights/draw on battery

Hello all
I have an 85 6.9 diesel with what I believe to be a side post variety withexternal regulator set up..think its 100amp
So I have noticed when its running all the lights will pulse dimmer and brighter steadily.
Also something was draining my battery. I have no extra electronics and all lights are off also the radio is unhooked..
Some one sugested (check the alt), so The easiest thing I did was pull the field conector off of the alternator and it seemed to stop the draw I was seeing on the voltmeter..
Not sure how alternators work exactly when it comes to the field lead and the relationship with the regulator, guessing its shouldnt be drawing anything when its not running??? Or is it the regulator sending juice to it??? hmmm lol didnt think to put the volt meter on it..
Thanks in advance for any help
Chris

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
Check the plug at the alternator for one, I have to keep something wedged in on mine or it loses contact. If it is still drawing, then something isn't quite right, the regulator may be sticking or the key switch isn't disconnecting power from it.

Check the plug at the alternator for one, I have to keep something wedged in on mine or it loses contact. If it is still drawing, then something isn't quite right, the regulator may be sticking or the key switch isn't disconnecting power from it.

Hi Fellro..with key off. And orange field lead un hooked from alternator I do get +12 volts from the regulator.at this conector..so guessing this.is the culprit now to figure if its the regulator or igntion switch
Thanks

Hi Fellro..with key off. And orange field lead un hooked from alternator I do get +12 volts from the regulator.at this conector..so guessing this.is the culprit now to figure if its the regulator or igntion switch
Thanks

Went to the zone tonight and pi ked up a regulator after I confirmed that it was send juice to the alternator even though the key was off and confirming no power from th ignition was being sent to the reg...think that will solve my draw problem for the moment. Not sure if that will fix the pulsating part..will know tomorrow on a test run
Thanks for the info

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
A bad voltage regulator was the source of my problem for pulsating gauges, and I went through a couple alternators in a short period of time.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
IIRC, those alternators are a mere 60 amps.....I know that quite a few people have upgraded to an older Taurus style 3g that is a bolt on swap. Did the new regulator fix your problem?

Sorry. Yep the new regulator solved the draw and the pulsating.. I thought they were bigger I thought my shop man showed 100.. figured it made sense with the two batteries and glow plugs

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts