Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.4 engine replacement

blacksnapon

Staff member
Gonna get the oportunity to replace an engine in an 08 f350 ambulance. Of course its cab on. Oh Goody!

blacksnapon

Staff member
What happened to it?
They brought it in for coolant loss. I added 3 gallons of coolant. No external leaks. I checked the oil and it was halfway up the stick (way overfull). I got an approval to change the oil (military ambulance). I drained out 10 gallons. After refilling, it had a very audible rod knock.

Fellro

Staff member
Hopefully they still have the removable doghouse on them still... Still not a whole lot of fun.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Picture #1- remove this component.....picture #2- throw temper tantrum....picture #3 skin knuckles.....picture#4 repeat tantrum........

Holy crap..the universal laws of working on awkward stuff...:rofl: :rofl:

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I've seen lots of 6.0 work, but no 6.4... im slightly excited to see pictures cause i have a feeling there even more of a pain to work on than the 6.0's...

blacksnapon

Staff member
Finally started on it. Partial cab lift (because of the ambulance package). Gonna come out the front. I'm trying to come out and go back in in one piece.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Update.........This one came back with a p0003 (volume control valve circuit low). Diagnostics led to the high pressure fuel pump cover gasket shorting out (requiring cab lift). The 6.4 originally had this problem at first release, but they redesigned the gasket with convolute on the wires. This one was too short on convolute.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts