Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Transmission Problem/ Model

Hi All,

I glad to join this community ....

I just bought an Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 1998 5.4 & i need to replace the transmission as its damaged ,i found some used transmission but i don't know which type/model of transmission to buy ?

Specific questions:

Whats the original model of the transmission which was used with this 98 Exp. ?

Do you have a recommendation to use a new compatible model ?

I was asking some used dealers & they were always asking me your transmission have sensors or not & if it have sensors , how much sensors ? my mechanic said that the transmission i have is the model without sensors.

Thanks in advance guys...

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
4r70w would be the trans as far as I know, that is the only 4x4 trans offered behind the 5.4/4.6 engines. I would have yours rebuilt unless the case is bad. I had mine built in the STL area (don't know where you are from) for $550. And it was toughend up when they did it instead of just a standard rebuild. I do know that mid year in 02 they changed some internals on these trans and that could be the same thing with the 98 as well, but your VIN would give all that to a dealer and let them know the build date.

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
My 97 and the 98 4x4 my parents had both had E4OD's....

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts