Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2003 Explorer Transmission Question

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
The transmission hits all of the gears and goes down the road fine. The shift seems to be a shade rough. It has the 4.6L V8 in it, but I have no clue about the transmission. It's an automatic, and the problem you notice most is the downshift when you slow down and it clunks back into first.

The thing has a butt-ton of miles on it. I think it's near 150k.

Any recurring issues that would be first to look at? I think I should probably have someone pull codes, but if anyone knows any common 'wearing out' problems off the cuff, that would help a lot.

Ryan

Can't hurt to service it. Did they still use the 5R55E in 2003? I think that is the year they got rid of the dipstick. Can he even service his own trans?

I would be interested in what happens Ryan. I think it still has the same trans I have in mine.

In the stock mode, mine shifts really smooth. You can't tell it even shifts most of the time. I have it in the 87 octane performance mode 99% of the time now. It shifts just a little harder.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Do you have to pull the body off to do that, Vince? smilieeatndrink
Only if the flux capacitor needs revitalizing. Access is only if the body is off!smiliestirthepot .........the trans is controlled solely by computer, so proper computer controls are a must. The other possibility is sticking solenoids in the valve body (thus, servicing the trans). If these dont work, its major repairs.

better off having it done... more than likely you don't have the means to flush out the torque converter...

03Explorer

Missouri Chapter member
My Explorer shifts rough also. But mine is opposite of yours. It shifts rough when accelerating. I do have a lead foot (of course I don't think it is as heavy as Todd's). I just got it serviced though. It didn't seem to fix my problem. Don't know the specs on mine. That's for the man to know, I just drive it.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I would have it serviced first, if that doesn't work put a solinoid pack in it with a reflash, also the overdrive servo and bore are an issue on them as well but that usuall affects 2nd and 4th gear.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts