Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Question about catalytic converter

I'm looking to buy an '05 or '06, and of course, being a guy, I'm already looking forward to doing some mods to make it my own. Short of going to a dealership and looking under a truck, I can't find an answer to my first question. On the 04-08 models with the 5.4, does it come stock with one or two cats? Intake and exhaust are my first two priorities, and I want to know if it'll be a true dual or not. Thanks for any assistance

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
A cat back exhaust is the legal, sensible, and with all the modern electronics, really the only choice. You will not affect the performance or mileage and if you can keep your right foot off the pedal, you may gain a couple of mpg. You can have cat back dual exhaust but it's pricey!

Last edited:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I'll look for you when I get off work on my 05. That is, unless someone else beats me to it. You're probably not going to have true duals, it's cheaper to put cats on 1 pipe.

I went with a flowmaster 44 with a single pipe in, dual out. it sounds great and has the dual look.

Ryan

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
I'll look for you when I get off work on my 05. That is, unless someone else beats me to it. You're probably not going to have true duals, it's cheaper to put cats on 1 pipe.

I went with a flowmaster 44 with a single pipe in, dual out. it sounds great and has the dual look.

Ryan

I'd say the percentage of the dual exhausts out there are single in, dual out,cat back exhausts. If your not careful, you can lose bottom end by having an exhaust that breaths to freely. 2 1/4" is the max you want to go for gas engines. Having the "Y" pipe helps in scavenging of the gases.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts